cynotilapia afra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I'm looking to add some female afras for my apparent two males. Do you guys think I could get by with 4 females for two males? I have a little space, but not enough to add 6 or more females.

Also, all the afras I see in the pet stores hold dominant male colors. Last time I got some, it was a guess. In the store they all appeared to be male. When I got home, one of my three had taken female colors (brown, kind of dull). My main question is, when all the afras have male colors in the store, how can I tell what gender they are? Thanks in advance!

They could have all very well have been males. Most store tanks are overstocked to make
More sales and with african cichlids overstocking usually dulls aggression. My guess would be that since there is not as much agression in store tanks so when you bring them home they
Will fight for dominace. The winner will keep his vibrant color, and the lesser cichlids will lose their color. In nature the most
Vibrant male is dominant and stands
Out and females can find them more
Easily. That is my guess/opinion. Hope this
Helps at least a little bit.

Venting is the only way , but can be tricky. When I purchased mine the chap blew on the vent area which made the vent contract and thus could tell. But I'm not sure exactly what he was looking for. In other species I have it's easy as one looks rounded and the other oval, but can't remember of the top of my head which way round it is, would have to look it up in my book.
But if the fish are young it's hard to tell them apart.

Hope this kinda helps. ??? Lol

Back
Top Bottom