dalmation mollie and black mollie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kemmett19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a black mollie and a dalmation mollie. Have been noticing the dalmation following the black and like nipping at it. Is this normal playing or am I going to find half a fish floating around one day?

Actually I'm noticing now the dalmation Molly is doing that all the other fish in the tank. What should I do

Ok, well, the gender matters because you may just have a boy chasing a girl around trying to court her. :)
Do you know how to tell the difference between mollies?

Ok. Here is a link to help: Sexing Mollies
The female's anal fin is fan shaped, the male's is pointed. Now, it can be a little tricky sometimes because the female will not necessarily always have hers fanned out, so a girl can look like a male at a glance. If you ever see that fin fanned out though, its a girl. The male cannot fan his out. :)

In that case the dalmation Molly nipping at my other fish is Def female. Should I remove this fish or what.

This is vague, but it depends on how much nipping is going on. If it seems to stress the other fish, then yes I suggest removing the offender.
You can try turning off the light and rearranging the tank. Sometimes that helps.
It is likely just a bossy molly. They are not uncommon. Often, the fish can sort it out themselves, but if the other fish is too stressed, getting injured, prevented form eating or anything like that, then I suggest you step in.

It doesn't look to be doing any damage to the other fish but it follows my black Molly all day long non stop and nipped at it

Yeah, then it may be best for you to re-home the bossy one. Its up to you though since you are the one seeing the behavior. I hope it works out for you.

What's my best course of action as I only have one tank. Bring the fish back to pet smart or what. It is Def bothering the other fish

PetCo I know will take in "adoption" fish. I think PetSmart does too. Yes, IMO that is your best option. You can ask around at different lfs to see if any of them will give you some in-store credit for the fish, but its unlikely because mollies are so common.

Back
Top Bottom