Damaged Neon (Caught in filter)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Heya guys,
Unfortunately to my ignorance, I turned the filter on high flow, and one of my small neons got caught in the 2nd extension of my AquaClear 300 filter intake. Some of his left fin was cut off, and his body is shifted to the right a little, and hes swimming in spirts calmly in my fishnet "refuge". He seems to be pretty active but i know if I let him back into the the tank that the other fish will start picking at him, which Im not going to let happen. Is there anything I can do in order to help him get better?

The best things that you can do for the fish to allow him to heal would be to provide a good foods and plenty of fresh, clean water by doing daily water changes. The water changes will lessen the chance of a possible infection from setting in.

Bryan

Oh great, humm, hes still alive, his fins altogether are shredded up, but not too badly. Will his fins heal up? And do fish gills grow back/heal? Unfortunately, it looks like the left side gills either arent there anymore, or it looks likethat piece of skin or whatever that covers them isnt there, will any of this come back? Im sorry Im asking so maky questions, even though hes just a neon, I still dont want him to die.

I hope he eats, I put some flake food in the net and he/she doesnt want it.

Injured/sick fish should be kept isolated in a quarantine/hospital tank to lower the stress placed on them and to facilitate easier treatment.

The fins will heal in time. If the entire gill plate was ripped off then it probably won't grow back. If only the skin is missing off the gill plate then it should heal up. The important thing is to keep the water conditions pristine with the daily water changes.

Try using bloodworms, they will sometimes entice a fish to eat when all else fails. Once he starts to eat again you can ween him onto other foods and vary his diet some.

Bryan

i had a small glow light get stuck in my filter. i just QT him for about 1 1/2 weeks and used melafix. he acutally got sucked into the filter and went all the way through it!! he is fine now though!!

I agree. QT in a small tank alone for a while, and let him heal on his own. Change water often, and I'd medicate to protect against a secondary infection. Should be good as new in no time, if there was not too much damage done.

You definitley don't want to put him back in the main tank, IMHO.

Best of luck.

Hes unfortunately dead now, and I also just found a angel stuck to the side of the syphon. Im not sure why, he doesnt look messed up at all from the filter, Im doing a water change now, so hopefully that clears this up.

Back
Top Bottom