Damaged scales on Fantail Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
In November, I rescued three little Fantails from a badly maintained tank with only 8L of water :-(

The little guys came home to my spare 50L tank, and today I moved them to a new 140L tank.

Jasper, the feistiest fish, has somehow damaged 3 of his scales in the move. I'm not sure how, as I used a container to move him rather than a net, to try and avoid any damage.

He looks fine - his usual hungry self, and doesn't seem to be in pain. But I am worried he might get an infection, and the scales might not grow back - any advice?

Do I need to do anything for him aside from maintaining pristine water?

Thank you, R

I would just keep an eye on it. If it starts to look infected I would give him an antibiotic medicated food. But I bet with clean water it will heal up just fine.

Pristine water and a good diet and he will be perfectly fine! Scales do take time to grow back and you may not notice them growing back (they may be translucent) but the risk of any problems from a missing scale or two is pretty much zero as long as the water conditions are kept healthy. :)

Thank you for your replies, Sandycheeks and JLK :). I greatly appreciate it.

Jasper is doing ok. I'm running a fish-in cycle and so carefully monitoring the water quality.

Poor little guy has had a tough life so far (was kept in a tiny, filthy tank with two buddies for a long time). He is doing well and has easily trebled in size since being rescued :)

Back
Top Bottom