Damsels and Clownfish together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschroller

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have Blue Damsels and clownfish living together in the same tank? I bought a Percula Clownfish and when I introduced him to the tank with the two Blue Damsels, the damsels got very territorial and wouldnt stop attacking the Clownfish. They would nip at him, and bat at him with their tail. The poor clownfish didnt fight back and would just take it. Well I got tired of watching him get picked on and put him in QT for now. Im thinking of taking the two damsels to my LFS tomorrow for a store credit. They are just soo aggressive. Has anyone had any experience with these fish together? I could use some pointers. Also what fish do you have that live well with Clownfish?

Check out my signature. I don't have any problems. Little scuffles upon introduction, but that's it.

I dunno if I'd call it a little scuffle though. They follow him around the tank messing with him. I dont want him to die of shock from all the attacks.

i recommend getting two clowns of same species of course, (except maroon clowns unless there is a huge size diffrence at least of 2" or more between them)

damsels will be fine the clown is out numbered and damsels are aggr. anyway btu they will cool down eventually

If you can switch around the rocks the Damsels call home it may confuse them long enough to let the clown establish his own turf. What size tank are they in?

I have a blue damsel and two false clowns in my 75 and there has not been any problems, they swim past each other and just seem disinterested. At feeding time they raise each other to the food, then hit their own hiding spots again. I did however have problems when I had two blue damsels together, the one I have now killed the other one. Who knows, different types of clowns just may react differently.

well the damsels were just too aggressive. I took them back to my LFS and those bastards only gave me $5 for both of them. Even though they are gonna turn around and sell them for $7.99 EACH. What a rip off. Anyways, I got 2 green chromis and 2 pepermint shrimp to live with my clownfish. The chromis seem much more peaceful. After a couple weeks I'll find something else more colorful to make up for the traded in damsels.

Two Blue Devil Damsels, one Domino Damsel and one false Percula Clown. They all get along for the most part. The only action is when the damsels chase each other around at times.

I also have a Coral Beauty Angel, a Yellow Tang and a Blue Tang.

All fish were added separately, and each became territorial of the newcomer. I moved rocks each time and now it's one big happy family... :D

Back
Top Bottom