Danio and Tetra starter fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiltrip

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just got another tank, a 15 Gallon high...

We are thinking of cycling the tank with...

2 Zebra Danios

and

2 Diamond Tetras

are the diamond tetras hardy enough for starter fish?

37 Gallon - 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 4 Tiger Barbs, 2 Rosy Barbs

10 Gallon - 2 Tiger Barilius, 2 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 1 Tiger Barb

15H Gallon - yet to be stocked

Honestly, I wouldn't put in Diamond's until that tank was cycled. They will need a steady slighty acidic pH to make them happy. I think you would be better off just putting in 2-4 Danios and letting the tank cycle with that.

So cycling with 2 fish would be enough for a 15 gallon? Does this make the cycle go a lot slower, or is it just easier on the fish?

- kip

You could put four fish in to cycle your tank. I would get the four danios. The moer you have, the more fun they are to watch. I cycled my ten gallon with two of them (and two black mollies). Now, I want to get a bigger tank so I can have 30-40 of them. They are great fish.

Two fish is fine for a 15 gallon tank. I wouldn't do more than 4 though in that size tank for cycling purposes.

will the be miserable if there are only two, or they'll be fine? seems like they'd be ok. a friend of mine has one by itself with a huge bala shark and two tiger barbs.. and it's been around for years.

will the be miserable if there are only two, or they'll be fine?

I think they will be miserable with either 2 or 4 or 6 or 8. Remember these fish are being used to cycle a tank. The ammonia and nitrite spike will probably shorten their life anyway...

I would just put in 2 or 3 and then add to the school once the tank is cycled. You don't want to put in too many fish or the ammonia will kill them. Danios are hardy, but they're not that hardy.

May I just add my 2 cents here. I am cycling a 20g high with zebra danios. I started with 4 and did lose 1 on the 3rd day. I was worried, but the 3 are fun to watch and school just fine. Because of my ratio of fish to water, my tank seems to be cycling quickly. My ammonia level after 12 days is 0 and my nitrItes are at .25 so I hope my cycling will be complete after a couple more weeks. When cycling is complete I will add more danios because these zebras are very cool and I would like to complete the school.

I would also like to add, I am glad I cycled my first tank this way instead of using something like Bio-Spira. I'm sorry I lost a fish in the process, but now I feel like I am gaining a better insight into how to keep fish healthy and happy.

I hope this helps and Good Luck with your tank!

We bought two zebra danios, then 2 days later, we decided to add a 3rd one to the bunch, the next morning, one of the original ones we bought died. it was kinda weird. i guess he was just a weak link? we are just going to keep the 2 i think. 3 seems to be bad luck.

- kip

I would also like to add, I am glad I cycled my first tank this way instead of using something like Bio-Spira

Why would you say this. Bio-Spira is the only recognized cycling product out there and has been proven to work for many people. You would rather place fish in an uncycled tank and let them get ammonia poisoning?

I still say that fishless cycling is the best way to go.

we are just going to keep the 2 i think. 3 seems to be bad luck.

Maybe for cycling the tank. But, once it's established, the more danios you have , the more fun they are to watch. If you ever see a tank with thirty of them, you'd agree with me. :D

it is possible to cycle a small tank that size with that many fish, but you would have to do frequent water changes, however i definately wouldn't reccomend it, as it is just as easy to cycle with two and is also healthier. you can always go back to the store and pick up a few more in a week.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom