Danio with growth on face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a glo danio that has a growth on his face. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Last time he had it I got it off with a QTip. I'm sure it was very stressful for him. Wasn't sure if it was a parasite or not. Anyway does anyone have any advice should I just leave it? The pics aren't great. It's the growth in the right.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image-1932229921.jpg
    image-1932229921.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 147
  • image-3874981825.jpg
    image-3874981825.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 77
  • image-426044150.jpg
    image-426044150.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 174
  • image-1644762132.jpg
    image-1644762132.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 74
I do not know what that is. It does not look like an parasite that I personally know of.
Is the fish acting normal? Swimming ok, eating, and all that jazz?

It isn't a parasite just a growth, wart, tumor or something. I just call it a booger for now.

He is eating well and acting normal. My concern is it is growing exponentially at some point it's going to be huge. Not sure if I am going to need to do something about it. :/

Thanks!

The pics are a bit fuzzy but it looks like lymphocystis, sometimes called cauliflower disease. Its a viral disease and fairly common in goldfish. There is no treatment but removal of the growth is sometimes necessary when it impairs a fish's ability to eat, swim, breathe, etc. The virus will not kill a fish but complications from the growth or secondary infection may. Usually, it will run its course on its own. Limiting stress, keeping the water pristine and feeding a nutritious diet to keep the immune system strong are the best defenses. There is a risk of it spreading to other like species (ie, danio to danio) and some people suggest either isolation or euthanasia for this reason. Heres some more info:

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Lymphocystis.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom