Danios arent schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
My zebra danios aren't schooling together. I don't know anything about schooling or shoaling. They are in a 20G long with a couple platys. They are 5 of the danios do I need more?

IME, a lot of fish school better with 6 instead of 5. I had 5 rummies and they didn't school, but I got a 6th and now they do.
Also, some fish don't school unless there is something larger in the tank.

Zebra danios don't really school IME. They just do whatever they want. If you want them to school I would either get more or have a fish to get them schooling, since fish only school as a defensive measure.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Zebra danios don't really school IME. They just do whatever they want. If you want them to school I would either get more or have a fish to get them schooling, since fish only school as a defensive measure.

I agree,this is what I experiece with my danios

Yeah my Danios don't school either. They are in the tank by themselves, so i think the others are right in that they won't school unless there is a reason to (a big fish in the tank). I've heard many people say this and it makes sense to me.

By the way how are your Platties and Danios getting along? I may get some Platties to put in my tank with my Danios.

I have 5 zebra danios and 5 long fun blue danios and they school periodically in my 30 gallon but other then that they do their own thing and even cruise the bottom of my tank. Maybe if you added a larger fish like a dwarf gourami they may instinctively school

Platies do fine with the danios.they don't bother it at all.I have 2gbrs in the tank and they still don't school. Hoping when the rams get larger they will school a little more

Thanks all!!! They are getting along all right I did ask a question on here about their compatibility and got yes they are okay with each other. I never seen fish school. When I go to the LFS (won't be soon) I will get a zebra danio just to give them another friend.

Thanks all!!! They are getting along all right I did ask a question on here about their compatibility and got yes they are okay with each other. I never seen fish school. When I go to the LFS (won't be soon) I will get a zebra danio just to give them another friend.

Nice. Yeah, they are compatible with each other according to most sources I've seen. I was just making sure.

I've got 5 zebra danios, and they don't really school, but they do play together all the time. The game they play is called "let's act like complete freaking maniacs"!

If you want a schooling fish, I have 7 black skirt tetras, and they school a lot. They're not as active as the danios, and like to hang out right in the middle of the tank.

Sisserydoo said:
I've got 5 zebra danios, and they don't really school, but they do play together all the time. The game they play is called "let's act like complete freaking maniacs"!

If you want a schooling fish, I have 7 black skirt tetras, and they school a lot. They're not as active as the danios, and like to hang out right in the middle of the tank.

I might try them :) main reason I got the danios were to school but atleast I tried! My danios play the same game :)

I have nine Danio Rerio (zebra and such) and they don't really school. They do hang out with each other and play Danio games. My Bloodfin Tetras are very tight as are my Preacox Rainbows.

I have 4 platies with my glofish/zebra danios and they do great together. As far as the Danio's schooling my don't really school but they act like they are on crack chasing each other. Think I got lucky I have 5 females and 1 male because of there size. I have neon tetras and they seem to school but one will break off for a little while them rejoin them.

I have 4 platies with my glofish/zebra danios and they do great together. As far as the Danio's schooling my don't really school but they act like they are on crack chasing each other. Think I got lucky I have 5 females and 1 male because of there size. I have neon tetras and they seem to school but one will break off for a little while them rejoin them.

Hey I see you have 5 glo-fish and 1 danio. I'm thinking of doing that too. How is the one regular danio interacting with the others? Is he an outsider or does he fit right in with the other 5?

Glofish and zebra danio are the same species the glofish are just colored by science. The zebra fits right in I got one of each color of the glofish and added the zebra to make a school. Purple, green, yellow, blue, and red.

Glofish and zebra danio are the same species the glofish are just colored by science. The zebra fits right in I got one of each color of the glofish and added the zebra to make a school. Purple, green, yellow, blue, and red.

Cool. Yeah that is exactly what I'm doing...I want one of each color so i can tell who is who, and i want 6 because that's apparently the perfect amount for a small school.

Fish24907 said:
Cool. Yeah that is exactly what I'm doing...I want one of each color so i can tell who is who, and i want 6 because that's apparently the perfect amount for a small school.

Yeah, I have one of each color glo fish, one long fin zebra, one long fin golden, one leopard and one long fin blue. They are all Danio Rerio and they never leave anyone out of the "fun". My favorite of their games is the 'chase then tornado dance down the length of the water column' game.

Fishie said:

I have heard that its best to keep and odd number to keep them from pairing off.

so I would say get 3 more

Back
Top Bottom