De-chlorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan to use a Python for my 20% waterchanges on my 60gal.

What I want to know is, do I put the dechlorinator into the tank before I even start the water change (ie. before I even take out the 20%), do I do it AFTER I've taken out the 20% but not yet put in the new water, or do I just do it after I've completed the waterchange?

And, do I dose it as if I'm dosing the full tank? Or just the new 20% of water?

Thanks!

Don't add the dechlorinator BEFORE you take out the water...there may not be enough remaining to treat the fresh water you'll be adding.

I remove the water, add declorinator, and then start refilling. Sometimes I forget and add the declorinator as I am refilling. This doesn't seem to matter at all.

I dose for the entire tank even though I remove only 40 - 50% of the water. I don't think overdosing would be a big deal unless you dumped in several extra capfuls.

Thanks for the help!

My tank isn't going to have a massive amount of water circulation - does the dechlorinator dissolve and spread around the tank very quickly, even if the water's fairly calm?

Should I just pour it into the middle of the tank? Or by a powerhead or something so it gets blown about?

woah..I just read this. I take out the water, put some back in and THEN add the de-chlor..am I doing it wrong? 8O

I add the declorinator as I first start refilling the tank. I've had no problems. Depending on how much water you refill with before adding the declorinator you could be exposing the fish to chlorine, but if it isn't a large amount of water you should be fine.

You can add the dechlor at any point in time during or after refilling the tank. But don't wait for an hour to do it. I squirt dechlor in the tank while its refilling. Actually, we have shot glasses for all the tanks that I premeasure the dechlor in. Then when I get to the tank I just dump in the shot glass and I don't have to worry about measuring.

don't need dechlorinator with 20%???? I do believe you are wrong. Even though your area may not have high amounts of chlorine and chloramine amongst other heavy metals, there is still plenty of chlorine to kill fish, especially your sensitive fish.

I would suggest dosing your declorinator according to how much you took out. The extra dechlorinator can sometimes prove to be a bad thing.

BillD said:
If you are only changing20% you don't need dechlor at all.

Sorry, but this is as accurate as me saying "I'm the president of the world".

Whenever chloramine is present in your tap water, you MUST neutralize it. Chlorine will outgas over several hours, but 90% of US water companies use chloramine now, because it doesn't degrade, and therefore does it's job better.

Failure to dechlor after a few 20% water changes would quickly bring chloramine levels to toxicity, and the entire tank would die off, including your bacterial colonies.

When I do changes on my 75 gallon, I add half my dechlor right before I turn on the water, and the other half when I stop filling. Probably un-necessary, but I like to be a little anal retentive when it comes to my fish hobby.

Its true... i have read several articles that say when doing small water changes (like 20%) that you don't even have to use dechlor...because what's in your tank will take care of it. Has anyone else ever heard this? Regardless.. i ALWAYS add dechlor ... Prime is the best stuff ever... a little bit goes a looong way. Just 1ml/10 gallons as apposed to other brands that are 5ml/10gallons

I agree with malkore. When dealing with chloramines, you must use a dechlorinator. Tank conditions will not break down the chloramines. Chlorine can be evaporated, but I still wouldn't chance it with doing a 20% water change. Maybe topping off, but only if its a little bit.

But I should dose for the whole tank again after doing a 20% waterchange, not just dose for 20% of the water?

I dose for the entire volume of the tank since we have chloramines. When our water company used chlorine, we just dosed for the water added. This is another debatable issue. Some dose for the entire tank while some dose for the water added. But then again we use a python to add water.

I've read that when topping off water lost to evaporation, it isn't necessary to add dechlor. The reasoning is that any CHLORINE still present in the small amount of water being added would be diluted to non-toxic levels.

Malkore is correct that CHLORAMINE is very stable antiseptic, and that many municipal suppliers are switching to it for this very reason. The old advice to let water sit overnight to remove chlorine, or not to worry about small amounts of fresh water is quickly becoming outdated.

Besides, it only takes seconds to add a few pennies worth of dechlorinator, so why take a chance?

malkore said:
BillD said:
If you are only changing20% you don't need dechlor at all.

Sorry, but this is as accurate as me saying "I'm the president of the world".

Whenever chloramine is present in your tap water, you MUST neutralize it. Chlorine will outgas over several hours, but 90% of US water companies use chloramine now, because it doesn't degrade, and therefore does it's job better.

Failure to dechlor after a few 20% water changes would quickly bring chloramine levels to toxicity, and the entire tank would die off, including your bacterial colonies.

You are making a few incorrect assumptions. When you add chlorinated water from the tap to a tank, it doesn't gas off over a few hours. It will react almost instantly with organics in the water and be gone in very short order (usually within minutes.) You can test this for your self, quite easily, as I have done. I was at the local Big Al's this week and inquired about their water change practices, and the fish room manager told me they don't use dechlor, and they change about 40% to 50%. The chlorine levels in the tap water tend to be rather high, in the 3ppm+ range.
The other statement with regard to chloramine, that it will build up over time is also untrue. In order for chloramine to function it must still be reactive. While the extra stability relative to straight chlorine prevents it from gassing off, it still must be reactive to kill bacteria. The chlorine reacts, leaving the ammonia, which is a small percentage relative to the amount of chloine. This is quickly consumed by the biofilter. Many of the choramine neutralizers, merely break the chlorine bond, and allow the filter to deal with the ammonia. The ones that lock the ammonia eventually release it to the tank. This was originally told to me by Joe Gargas, who at the time was head of R&D for Wardleys, and prior to that was a consultant, and regular contributor to FAMA amgazine. I have since tested it myself, by mixing equal portions of tank water and tap water with a chlorine level of 3+ppm (my test kit only goes to 3ppm) Immediately, after mixing the chlorine level was .5 ppm. If it didn't react, you would expect a reading of 1.5ppm or greater. In 15 minutes there was no measureable chlorine. I suspect it was gone long before I did the second reading. Having said that, there is reason to use a dechlor, but not so much to get rid of the chlorine, as to avoid the formation of the byproducts of it's oxidation of organics, namely tri methyl halides, which are cosidered worse than the chlorine by many. At any rate, I just wished to clear up the misconceptions you seem to have about chlorine. I personally no longer use dechlor, as my fish water goes through a carbon filter that removes the chlorine, for a fraction of the cost of dechlor. I will stand by my claim that a water change of 20% does not require the addition of dechlor to be safe. If you are uncomfortable with this, by all means continue to dechloinate, it certainly will do no harm.

I may actually do waterchanges without the Python, and put the new fresh water into 2 buckets with 2 heaters, to get the heat up accurately (I'll have a job finding a bucket that will hold 25% of my tank's water :p).

If I do this, and I'm dosing the de-chlor for the whole tank as suggested and not just the new water, I'm assuming I just put half the amount of de-chlor in one bucket and half in the other, then put the 2 buckets of water into the tank?

If your doing the bucket brigade, which is what I do. You really only need to dechlorinate the water in the bucket.

So I just put the dechlor into the buckets then pour the buckets straight into my tank? Or do I have to wait for the dechlor to settle or mix in in the buckets or anything?

It is just about instantaneous. I drop the prime in the bucket, stick my finger in to test the temp and pour it in.

Back
Top Bottom