de-feathered feather duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannonredburn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had this feather duster for about 4 months now. Two days ago I introduced 5 new hermits (my shrimp ate 2 so it is three now). They discovered the feather duster and atleast one has been munching on the casing every time I check on them. Today it lost its crown. The crown is wedged in a rock and when I attempted to remove it appears to be stuck solid. It also appears to be waving like it did when attatched to the rest of itself, though that could just be a trick of the water flow.

Is this part still living?
Could it be stuck on something? I had assumed that the feathers would be separate pieces that would fall off and I could just pick them out?
Or is it more likely that something in the rock was munching on the feathers? Should I just leave them in there?

Sorry no pics right now, but I can try to get some tomorrow.

Thanks

Edit: So this morning I wake up and the little feathers are laying all over the tank like I expected them to be. No idea what had a hold of them yesterday. But today I am so taking those crabs back and getting some more feather-duster friendly snails!!!

What kind of crabs?
How did you acclimate?
Water parameters?

I dont think acclimation would be the culprit after 4 months. I do think that the crabs may very well be the cause and you are doing what needs to be done. I would leave the worms alone, they may regrow their crowns, they may not. Leaving them won't hurt anything though.

I am not sure of what kind they are other then hermits. I had thought they were little red legged ones, But when I saw them walking around in my tank their legs seem to be a bit longer then the average, and they are all brown with darker brown stripes. My peppermint shrimp likes the taste of them though, I bought them Thursday and it's already pulled 2 out (though one was trying on a bigger shell so I am sure it was easy pickings.
Acclimation was the drip for about 2 hours.
Haven't tested today yet.....
But I am definitely sure it's the crabs cause I caught them doing it, Pulled them off 5 times over the weekend. The feather dusters casing has been picked at so bad that I can see completely through it in places.

Grr!! Evil Crabs!!!!!

You might want to remove them as they will be nothing but problems. If your feather duster survives he will regrow his crown.

I had one of my dusters loose his crown. I have not seen any trace of him anywhere....But there was no ammonia spike, so I don't think he's dead. Just hiding away till the crown grows back?

I tried to get some tank shots but my camera jsut stinks at the closeups.

Attachments

• hpim0762_529.jpg
    hpim0762_529.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 17
  • hpim0755_175.jpg
    hpim0755_175.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom