Dead Cleaner Shrimp x 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
So over the weekend, my red scarlet cleaner shows up dead. I've had him for over a year. The day after, my Algae Blenny lays over and gasps for "air" but is paper thin. We had to flush him.

Here's the interesting part. I immediately thought the nitrate level had exceeded the limits for shrimp....but my Camel Shrimp is fine. I bought another cleaner on Monday, but he died in a few hours. What is going on? Any ideas?

Salinity is .026, PH is just over 8, Amm & Nitrites are 0. I haven't tested the nitrate levels

Alll the other fish are fine

Well, not sure about the cleaner you had for a year...I have heard they need some Iodine supplements to stay alive or molt properly and others have told me they don't live that long without enough fish to feed it parasites. Camels eat anything AFAIK, so that may be why he is fine. This is a possible theory, these kind of things are nearly impossible to prove - assuming all water parameters good, no toxins or high doc, etc.

Also are you using a swing arm hydrometer? They (and tubes) tend to read low .004-.005, meaning if you measure 1.026 the actual sg measured with a refractometer may be 1.031...kind of high. Now many lfs keep sg around 1.017 to 1.022 to save on salt $$. This is a very big change and could account for the loss of the new cleaner, just a theory. These guys are very sensitive to rapid changes in water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom