Dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just found a dead cardinal tetra and I noticed one disappeared a week ago, but I can't find it so maybe it got eaten by my other fish. I tested my water 3 days ago using the Seachem Ammonia and nitrates/nitrites test kits and ammonia was between 0.01 and 0.02. Nitrites were 0 and nitrates were between 7.5 and 10. My other fish are cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, Celebes rainbows, an oto, and a horseface loach. I just noticed another cardinal looks faded in color and a little bloated. I included pics of him and the dead cardinal. Tank is a 29 gallon tall and I do weekly water changes. Ammonia has always been present in my tank and I've done everything possible to lower it to 0 and nothing has worked.IMG_7218.jpgIMG_7219.jpgIMG_7223.jpg

Cardinals and neon tetras are relatively difficult to maintain. The only really successful cardinal tanks I've seen are heavily planted, soft dark water types.
I read that you already have a group of rainbows. Maybe consider adding a few Australian rainbows if the cardinals don't pull through.
The Aussie rainbows probably will tolerate your less than perfect water conditions. I keep a small school of them in my grow out tank. They are ravenous eaters, keeping the tank cleaner. No scraps on the bottom of tank. Might help a little with your ammonia problem.
A. Rainbows are inexpensive, a bit plain looking as juveniles, but really color up as adults. Good luck with your tank.

Cardinals live only a year in the wild and maybe 2-3 years in a tank if conditions are good. How old are these guys?

Back
Top Bottom