Dead Mystery Snail.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a Copper Test Kit (Should have done that before I got the snail).

I have water with a pH of about 7.8, kh of 8 and GH of 0 (thanks to my water softener I think).

Anyway last water change I added Equilibrium to give the snails minterals. Haven't tested the gh since but will as soon as I can.

One mystery snail is gone. All that is left is a foot and a shell.

There are 6 Danios in the tank and that is all. Sand Substrate all water parameters are normal. Water is a bit cold. Adding a heater.

Is there anything else I should check? I am new to sails. I pulled the remaining snail out and gave him a kale leaf for now.

Thanks!
Jana

Well my danios and pearl gourami are frequently seen swimming happily with a small snail in their mouths, never seen one get eaten that's bigger than half a centimeter so that's probably not your problem. :p Maybe your water isn't snail friendly or perhaps the snail just died... Also how did you know it was dead? My larger snails are sometimes floating around at the surface because somehow the got dislodged and floated up. Sooner or later they do somehow manage to get reattached to the wall :)

Nope he is definitely dead. Shell is empty and all that was left was his foot and bits :(.

Both snails were hiding in a cave. Not sure what the problem is. I ordered a copper test kit on amazon. They aren't available at Petsmart. It should be here tomorrow.

Will he he ok in an unfiltered container till then ?

These are about the size of a small grape.

It could have been picked on, which would explain why it was hiding, but that also could have happened after it died. I'm not sure a danio would pick on a snail THAT much though. I think the second snail should be ok in the container, you should cover it with a lid with holes so it doesn't climb out, just in case. Also you could float it in the tank to keep the temperature more stable. I hope he lives, snails are cute. :)

They don't ignore the teeny edible ones :p never seen them touch ones that wouldnt fit I'm their mouths.

Same thing happened to me, i had 9 pretty big mystery snails in my 29 gallon, and one day i noticed 8 of them had died. The last one has been living happily for the last month. weird...

I have no idea why the other one was eaten so fast. The danios didn't even look fatter. I should double check it isn't in the cave dead and fouling the water.

The remaining snail seems to be sluggish, may have foot damage and seems to be dissolving? or something. He/She is leaving little granules everywhere it goes a LOT of them. Maybe it is snail poop but it seems like a lot.

My water parameters are kh 8, gh 4, ph 8.3, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

I use a water softener, normally my gh is 0 I added some equilibrium when we brought them home. I added some crushed oyster shells. Think it is a water parameter issue?

Thanks!

Update: seems like snail poop so that is good. He just isn't happy and out like he was when I got him. Not sure if the Danios were to blame or disease or what. Looks like his antennae are gone or shorter.

Attachments

• image-1398083371.jpg
    image-1398083371.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom