Dead Star Polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sqrle

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a way to find out if a star polyp is dead? it has not opened all day. Yesterday when it was out, it looked really ragged and wasn't at full extension.

I am a bit concerned that my flower pot coral has waged warfare on my tank. My star polyp, and hammer coral are looking strange. Neither are extending to their normal places. The polyp, right now, has zero polyps out. The hammer is out about half of it's usual.

Two days ago, after the lights went out, I noticed the flower pot excreting these purple egg looking things. Then the water got cloudy. At first I thought that it might be laying eggs, then the corals started to act strange. So... I am at a loss as to what is happening.

The first place I would start is some water test results then maybe some PWC`s and then some GAC to polish the water.

ph - 8.2
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
ammonia -0.1
phosphates - 0
calcium - 400
KH - 179ppm

All of these readings are after doing a 25% pwc. I will have to get some carbon tomorrow, since I recently ran out. After a good look at the star polyp tonight, I noticed that some of the edges where it is attached to the rock, seem to be lifting off. The hammer, I can't tell yet becuase the lights are out, and it is retracted. I have more water mxing, I will get another pwc done tomorrow, and run some carbon.

Sounds like your Goniopora spawned, which would provide food for fish and probably corals, but the bulk of it very well can negatively impact other coral species on top of your water quality. Keep the 25% water changes up until things clear and you should be fine :)

That reading is very minute. There is always a "cycle" going on. In other words there are always a small fraction of ammonia, nitirite, and of course the final product which will be more than a fraction nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom