Dealing with high nitrates in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so as many of you know I have been trying to deal with my high Nitrates in my water. So I have come up with an experiment that I think works.
So normally I do 2 50% pwc a week. Well I stopped doing them last week so I could actually watch the nitrates and how they rise versus plant mass, ferts and lighting. I think I have found the stabilizing point which came out around 40ppm and it's been holding steady there for around 4 days.
So now I am doing water changes to get the nitrates down around 10 ppm. I don't think my fish are too happy with back to back 60% changes. But if this works I may finally be able to keep my water changes down to 50% once a week again and not because of stupid high nitrates!
I upped the PPS-Pro dosing to 2x the high light dose and upped my photo period to 12 hours a day.
So my question is what do you all think about my experiment For better nitrate management?

Hello Flit....

If you're not keeping and breeding rare fish, then a nitrate reading of 40 ppm isn't bad. This won't affect most hardy species. As long as you're following a sound water change routine by removing and replacing most of the tank water weekly, you'll maintain a steady water chemistry and this all the fish need.

B

I want to do GBRs again and that's why I was trying to get the nitrates down. I know they don't do well with high nitrates. I just completed my tap test as I haven't done that in a few months. It's matching my tank after 2 huge water changes this morning I think it's down to maybe 30ppm. I am going to try again in a few months after the new lewis and clark water system is hooked up to our water. It supposed to be done some time this summer.

With your PPS-Pro setup, are you including KNO3 with the macros? If so, then I would omit them and mix/dose as needed. The biomass might be providing enough nitrates as is.

I thought so. Aside from the WCs, a few things you can look at:
Decrease fish population
Decrease feedings
Increase plant mass
Increase light

No room for more plants and I currently have 1 angel 9 neons 6 ottos and 1bnp in a 55g and I feed sparingly every other day. I am actually adding plants the only plants I can which is pothos and wandering jews out of the top of the tank. I am seriously out of ideas short of an RO/DI unit but I don't have the money for that right now. I even have plants coming out of the HOBs on the tank!

Have you tested your source water for nitrates? Are you running co2? That bioload is non existent. I have more in my 30g. Somethings amiss. Have you noticed your angel looking off?? He's really the only canary in this coal mine. How old is the tank? Filtration?

Last edited:
That angel looks great. The tap is terrible and is the main source of the problem. The tank has been up for 9 months and all the stuff and the filters have been running for the last 5 years. Everything is pristine as I can get it except the tap water. It's hard and is loaded with Nitrate. Like 550 TDS kind of hard. It's all the runoff from the farm land. Like I said can't wait until they hook up the new water source this summer

Back
Top Bottom