Death by Tumor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinemammalover

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,
I had a honey gourami die this morning. I had him for about a year now and he had a bulge on his left side for a couple of months. Unknowingly I thought he was just over-eating. I think that the growth was a tumor, but I'm not sure and unfortunately don't have any pictures. I have put some ammonia detoxifier in the tank until I can do a large water change and test the water tonight. The gourami was not exhibiting any other symptoms and all my other fish are acting and looking normal (1 honey gourami, 3 cherry barbs, and 2 zebra danios) what I'm wondering is should I be treating any of the other fish if it wasn't a tumor to prevent anything from happening to them. Could it be something besides a tumor that is contagious?

Gourami and bettas are somewhat prone to tumors due to the years of specialized breeding to bring out stronger colors. If it took a few months to die I'd say tumor is a fairly safe guess. If so, it wouldn't be contagious. Since no other fish is showing signs I'd say it's definitely not contagious even if it wasn't a tumor.

Thanks for the advice, i did a huge water change and everyone in the tank is looking better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom