Death of the Platys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REDCHEVYBLAZER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had many different platys in my tank over the past few days. At least one of each color but they all keep dying. I've tried 3 different stores too.

What are reasons a Platy would die? While a Guppy, Zebra Danio, Lyretail Sword, and Pleco (what has seemed to be the most sensitive fish of all) would keep alive?

I've had many different platys in my tank over the past few days. At least one of each color but they all keep dying. I've tried 3 different stores too.

What are reasons a Platy would die? While a Guppy, Zebra Danio, Lyretail Sword, and Pleco (what has seemed to be the most sensitive fish of all) would keep alive?
More info please
Size Of tank
Water Temperature
pH
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate
How long have they been in you're tank
How many Fish At a time.

My tank is a 10 gallon. The temperature is set to stay at about 78° degrees i believe with the heater. Possibly a few degrees warmer. The ph and amonia and what not are fine for a pleco which i know is pretty strict since its such a sensitive fish. I got my water tested and they saod the levels were within the recommended limits. The fish will live for a day or two and I bougjt 2 originally so 2 at a time cause thats what the free replacement replaces

My tank is a 10 gallon. The temperature is set to stay at about 78° degrees i believe with the heater. Possibly a few degrees warmer. The ph and amonia and what not are fine for a pleco which i know is pretty strict since its such a sensitive fish. I got my water tested and they saod the levels were within the recommended limits. The fish will live for a day or two and I bougjt 2 originally so 2 at a time cause thats what the free replacement replaces
Usually it is 1 platy for a 10gallon. I wouldn't see a problem having 2 in a 10 gallon, but you really need to keep the nitrites and ammonia at zero. The cause might of been because they were stressed, or they were getting bullied.

I may just not get more platys and get a few more zebra danios so they can kind of school tpgether. I alrwady have one in there.

I may just not get more platys and get a few more zebra danios so they can kind of school tpgether. I alrwady have one in there.
Really, you should only keep 1 platy, or 2-4 zebra danio's
I used to think it was fine but really you can't.
1. Zebra danio's would need a school of at least 6 fish, witch would require at least 15-25gallons of water. Platy's are recommended for 10-20gallons to themselves since they are very active fish.
You can keep a school of less then 6 fish, but they will nip, and they can get stressed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom