Dechlorinating water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to start Dechlorinating my own water instead of buying conditioner. You let water sit for two days and the chlorine evaporates. But what about the other bad stuff( Will doing this myself remove all of the bad stuff?

Does the water you drink have "bad stuff" in it? o_O after the chlorine is gone it should be ok. If there are harmful microorganisms living in your drinking water then your water supplier isn't doing it's job

Well, I don't think there's bad micro organisms in the water.... It looks pretty clean. I drink Michigan water in Chicago. Thanks

Letting water sit to "dechlorinate" only works if chlorine is used as disinfectant. Almost all municipal water use Chloramines nowadays, which does not break down (quickly) or evaporate ... so letting the water sit out for 2 days will not do the trick.

You need a dechlorinator to break the chloramine down or you risk killing your bio-filter. Also, the dechlorinator will take care of toxic metals like lead or copper which might leech out from some pipes.

The simplest is to use Prime. <Prime is so concentrated that a bottle lasts years (and it costs the same as the other dechlor, even though it is ~50x more concentrated) ... so it is a small price to pay for convenience.>

If you want to treat water containing chloramines, you will need to expose the water to bright sunlight for 1-2 weeks. People with ponds do that when they first set up their ponds, then they do small pwc's (<10%) and allow the small amount of chloramines to break down naturally ... You can have buckets sitting outside, I suppose, but it is not that practical indoors.

Well, a R/O unit will remove everything from the water, including all the buffers & minerals. So although you don't need to dechlorinate R/O, you will need to add back a proper buffering salt mix to maintain pH stability.

jsoong said:
Well, a R/O unit will remove everything from the water, including all the buffers & minerals. So although you don't need to dechlorinate R/O, you will need to add back a proper buffering salt mix to maintain pH stability.

Adding back, as in using Seachems Neutral Regulator to stabilize it for FW at 7.0?

Sent from my Epic 4G

Back
Top Bottom