Dechlorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jodibug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read in the startup guide at the top of this forum that I should add the amount of dechlorinator for my whole tank size and not just the amount of water I'm changing out. I'm just curious why that is.

To make you run out quicker and buy more would be my first guess. I just dechlorinate what I put in and be a little but more generous to be on the safe side.

It actually depends on how you're changing the water. If you're using an automatic refiller straight from the tap, then you want to add enough dechlorinator for the whole volume of the tank before you refill. If you're using buckets, you can either dose the tank for the whole volume of the tank and refill from the buckets, or dose each bucket for the appropriate amount (e.g. if it's a 5 gal bucket, dose the bucket for 5 gals of dechlor). As to why.....I'm sure it's a rather long-winded scientific answer. ;)

I use buckets for water changes. Even though my buckets are 5 gallons, I only fill them about half way due to lifting restrictions. I dose each bucket for 5 gallons. I figure if I do 4 half buckets and forget to dose one bucket (which does happen to me) I'm still ahead of the game. Of all the money I've put into my setups over the years, dechlorinator is one of the lowest priced items I use and a large bottle lasts forever.

Back
Top Bottom