decoration wonders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid555

Aquarium Advice Activist
here are some great decorations for your wonderful aquariums

try using household items such as fake plants, plastic flower pots(for caves), rocks that have been washed and anthing else you can think of

I think putting a lot of plants in the tank is a surefire way for a tank to look good, even if they are fake.

The thing to be careful of with using household stuff such as plants, is to make sure that the plants do not have metal in them. Most fake plants do. The water will cause them to rust, leaking it out into your tank.

By fake plants I was talking about the ones from the fish shop for fish. I think that they look much more authentic and are cheap ($1-6 each).

Nothing beats the look of real plants, you can bunch them togther so thick that the fish love it. And, the move constantly with the flow of the water. They cost more, but look and function so much better than plastic plants.

buggsmarinetank said:
Nothing beats the look of real plants, you can bunch them togther so thick that the fish love it. And, the move constantly with the flow of the water. They cost more, but look and function so much better than plastic plants.

I agree, I just wish it wouldn't cost so much for me to get better lighting on my 75 gal so I could get some really nice plants.

putting fake plants is a good idea then that way you dont have to worry about the upkeep of real ones!

some light coloured plastic plants become ugly, also the silk ones. for me, they turned brown and they are extremely hard to clean. so i finally switched over to live plants.

I have to agree with both sides here, I myself have plastic plants right now, so yes im a hypocrit...... but... If you have the time and money for real plants, you cannot beat the look that even the water gives off. Have you ever noticed that fully stocked live planted tanks kinda have a greenish tint to them slightly, so slightly but I think that it makes it look so real.

prettyvacant said:
some light coloured plastic plants become ugly, also the silk ones. for me, they turned brown and they are extremely hard to clean. so i finally switched over to live plants.

Yeah those silk ones are a bad idea, and they just look fake. If you plan it out right and buy the right plastic plants though you can make a beautiful setup that is virtually maintenence free. In my 55-gallon I have a large real log and about 15 good fake plants and the whole look is very realistic and authentic.

Back
Top Bottom