Decorations and ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morania

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So have a ten gallon aquarium to get my girls started with fish. When we bought it the new filter gave the betta fits so we picked up a plastic log for him to rest in. Soon after, our cory and the few neons died off and we began battling a tough ammonia problem. I recently removed the log to help me with the incredible amount of water changes I was going to have to perform and wouldn't ya' know it? The ammonia is now non-existent.

I think I should put a post up about these plastic decorations. And I'm going to ask my pet store about them with a friendly "heads up." I found out that some are made with "natural fibers" in the mix so it would make sense that a lot of decomposition could be occurring after they're submerged for a while. I think they are too close to the fish supplies and may be better suited for reptiles and amphibians and such.

I'll have to find a glass or natural rock formation for the betta to shelter in. At least we can get him a couple of buddies now. I was going nuts.

I've never heard of this.

Are you sure it was the decoration? Is it possible that it wasn't just a typical cycle? You mentioned a new filter, and that could contribute to re-cycling. It's also possible that the bacteria just happened to catch up to the ammonia load at the same time you removed the log, purely by coincidence.

Make no mistake, I'm not doubting you -- it's just that I've never heard of this before.

Oh, there's no doubt. The tank ran fine when we transferred everyone from their 6 gallon tank. Decoration in- neon geoncide and test water dark green. Up to 90 percent water changes with the decoration in- medium green. Decoratiion out with no water change- test water yellow in a couple of days of the filter bugs working on the water.

I think the "natural materials" on the decoration are chemically safe for the tank but there must be some kind of decomposition going on. I'm just wondering if we shouldn't be more particular to details when shopping for off-the-shelf aquarium items.

I've heard of plastics causing chemical leaching and we've always been careful not to put those painted items in. Natural isn't always better in this case.

Sorry you found that out the hard way about the deco. That is odd. In your 1st post you mentioned you added the log to help your Betta who didn't seem to like the strength of the outflow. Have you done anything else to help out with that? I have an HOB filter & I recently added a pre-filter & then cut the middle section out of a soda botttle & put that over the out flow which re-directs so it's not so powerful. My Bettas are much happier.

I put the old pagoda and the oriental bridge back in. They're tried and true. Maybe a little smallish looking for the tank but he hangs out in them when he's not begging for food.

....... then cut the middle section out of a soda botttle & put that over the out flow which re-directs so it's not so powerful. My Bettas are much happier.

Any way you could post a pic of that?

Morania said:
I put the old pagoda and the oriental bridge back in. They're tried and true. Maybe a little smallish looking for the tank but he hangs out in them when he's not begging for food.

They're good little beggars. Sometimes I think my females are going to explode because I feed them & drop an algae wafer for the CAE's, the girls eat that too. I still don't know if my CAE's are getting any of it. The boys aren't quite as piggish, two pellets is their limit.

I didn't find a good link but here is how to do it:

image-1917723975.jpg
Water bottle or soda bottle, just make sure you clean it well and remove any labeling before installing.
Cut the top part & bottom part off.

image-1362356441.jpg
Make sure to round out the edges so it won't harm the fish if he rubs against.

image-81146447.jpg
Install, bottom part wraps underneath the outflow, upper goes over the top. Because of its curl I haven't had to use anything to hold it in place.

image-2675711804.jpg

image-1105302616.jpg

image-618352911.jpg

Because I used clear it's hardly noticeable.

Hope this helps. :)

I did the bottle trick. Now T'mata Betta and his new Platy (ammonia free) friends and happier.

Back
Top Bottom