Deep sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terryc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to be changing my shallow Sand bed to a deep sand bed. I was thinking of adding Red Sea dry reef base. Do you think this will be ok. My tanks been running for nearly 2 years now, so the tank is well matured

I think putting a couple inches of sand on top of your existing bed will kill a lot of what's in it. I would not be surprised if you saw a spike from it. I would add a little bit of sand each week, to give any worms and pods a chance to crawl upward to oxygenated water.

That sounds like a plan. What do you think about that brand of sand? Or do you have one you recommend

I didn't think you could put live sand in an established tank? It's a lot cheaper than the Red Sea dry reef base.

I didn't put it in an established tank, but i don't see a problem doing it. I doubt very highly that there is ammonia in a bag of live sand.

If I went for live sand, do you think it would be ok to add more as it's already alive and shouldn't kill what's underneath

Cheers for the advice. Il let you know how it's goes

Back
Top Bottom