Deer antlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrueEnvy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I. Hoping to get a 2nd fish tank of my tetras and was thinking about puting deer antlers in there would that be harmful to he fish!

You could maybe cover it in an aquarium safe silicone. But godsfan said it works better for plastic items. Not sure how the antlers would do…

Really? Well I think I'm going I test it out on a few goldfish because I think that would look really cool in a fish tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I well place them in a bucket of water and test in to see if they leach any Nitrate or nitrite eta...

well i personaly would like a pm message from u on how this turns out because i have two very nice elk antlers that i would like to make a red neck tank out of. and i have a few more extra antlers also

Not sure how they would react in water. Antlers aren't bone so I'm not sure. They are closer to fingernails than bone

Negative, deer antlers are bone.

Horns, however, have bone cores with keratin (fingernail stuff) sheaths.

Thusly, they could slowly leach out calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. However, I doubt it would leach out at a rate great enough for you to detect with your testing kit. Antlers left outside to weather the elements will last many years before they start to deterriorate.

Krissy I just happened to see you mention me lol
Dude I think it coukd look cool but it could cause problems. The biggest issue I see it a spike in calcium and ph in the same way crushed coral does. You have 2 options.
Option 1: place in bucket of water. Test water before adding test water after 1 day and after 1 week. Compare to tank water. If it is the same all is good throw in tank. If it changes then adjust stock accordingly or move on to option 2.
Option 2: coat in a liberal amount of either aquarium safe silicone or the stuff the other poster mentioned. Be sure to do at least 2 layers of either one.
If you do it right it should be safe!

Krissy I just happened to see you mention me lol
Dude I think it coukd look cool but it could cause problems. The biggest issue I see it a spike in calcium and ph in the same way crushed coral does. You have 2 options.
Option 1: place in bucket of water. Test water before adding test water after 1 day and after 1 week. Compare to tank water. If it is the same all is good throw in tank. If it changes then adjust stock accordingly or move on to option 2.
Option 2: coat in a liberal amount of either aquarium safe silicone or the stuff the other poster mentioned. Be sure to do at least 2 layers of either one.
If you do it right it should be safe!

Lol Thought it would be worth a shot since OP would love to place it in their tank=) I still need to find the silicone >.<

well i personaly would like a pm message from u on how this turns out because i have two very nice elk antlers that i would like to make a red neck tank out of. and i have a few more extra antlers also
ok well do starting the experiment on Monday

Back
Top Bottom