Deformed Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kcsport

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had this neon for about a year and he has always been this way. He's pretty much the bully of the other neons, swims great and a good eater and has grown very well. Could this be a spinal deformity? Anyways just thought I would post his pic and ask. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2-1-07_257_368.jpg
    2-1-07_257_368.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 238
Could be. Although it appears that his lateral line is still fairly straight, so I'm not sure. But as long as it doesn't affect him, it doesn't really matter. :)

It could be a deformity. Sometimes when such a drastic spinal curve like that happens it's a sign of NTD (neon tetra disease), but you say you have had this guy for over a year and he's been that way. His color looks good, it's not fading, he swims and eats well....I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on your other ones to make sure they don't develop any NTD symptoms.

I agree. Maybe it's a product of bad genes (perhaps inbred, impossible to know though). If he acts fine, he's just your little neon anomoly and unique. :)

Inbreeding causes spinal deformation? I have 2 guppies that have deformed spines and they could possibly be inbred.

Back
Top Bottom