Deformed Starfish...Asternia ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capj64

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I always try to find out what things are before posting and even though I think I found the answer to this one (dgpolit's thread) I'm still posting just to make sure I'm correct.

At first I always saw it on the back glass, very tiny. I thought that it was probably a stomatella snail since I had recently ID one being in my tank. Very cool, fast snail :) Anywho...just thought it was a small baby one of those.

But just a bit ago, I saw it on my front glass...still small but bigger than the last time I saw it.

Correct, Asterina.
They propagate by splitting, and will often look like this and other crazy things right before/after a split. I love them, they keep glass so clean.

In previous tanks I have never had them but in my current tank I have hundreds... they don't stay on the glass much in my tank - seem to prefer the rock.

Check your tank at night, they usually are all over the glass then. They stay on the rocks during the day to camo themselves from predators.

Check your tank at night, they usually are all over the glass then. They stay on the rocks during the day to camo themselves from predators.

Have several times actually... I only see maybe 2 or 3 at any time on the glass even at night. I guess mine are just partial to the rock :confused:

I can't find mine now... but I'm sure he'll show up.

I think that I'm going to start a blog...stuff happens in my tank that I think is so freakin' cool but I can't get my family interested (even though it's supposed to be a family hobby) enough to listen and look and I don't want to add one thread after another. My friends think I'm nuts cause I talk about my tanks all the time :) I think my facebook has more pictures of my tank than my family, lol. Can't wait to see what I find next.

Before long you`ll see them like this in the morning.

100_0616.JPG

....but I can't get my family interested (even though it's supposed to be a family hobby).....

I think thats common.. my family is "into" my tank... but not like I am. They laugh cause I can actually sit and stare into my refugium for long periods of time lol.

Oh and if you want some Asternias I would be happy to send you some if you pay shipping. I literally have 100 plus.

I may take you up on that. I'll see how fast mine splits first :)
lol, my husband says that he enjoys the tank...when I'm not sitting in front of it. :) I examine everything.

Back
Top Bottom