Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too true - these were pretty cheap and will probably ditch since the Java Fern looks like it will survive. Be handy to have some spare just in case.

The melon sword continues to melt (fingers still crossed!). The aponogeton is sending out another flower stalk so looks like it will survive. Rest of the plants seem ok from transplanting - maybe some curled leaves, will see at weekend.

Arranged to pop over to see a local member today on the aponogetons. It's going to be an expensive trip but hopefully worth it.

Final plant list below (barring auction in a few weeks :) ). Put the Aponogetons up back and got given some Staurs (kept one lot and the other looked like a bad creeping plant so gone). Not worth taking a tank shot as the central ornament is hiding the new plants.

So adding up guess I had $100+ of plants that survived + spent $200 last week + almost $200 today -> will tell family $50, sounds about right.

The melon sword continues to melt, still got fingers crossed. Will do water test tonight to see if nitrate dosing is lifting tank nitrates at all.

I'd used all the hoses to start draining the pool for winter so decided to fill tank back up after water change with the buckets. Forgot how much fun that was stepping up the step ladder and lifting the buckets to shoulder height. The angelfish (people reckon loaches are bad) really didn't want to shift so had to chase them away several times.

Back RHS Aponogeton Crispus (flowering). Back Aponogeton Ulvaceous. Back Aponogeton Undulatus. Back Aponogeton Capuroni. Back LHS Bolbitis Heudelotii (African Water Fern). Front Java Fern (narrow leaf). Front RHS Staurogyne sp. Middle Anubias (Petite). Middle Bucephalandra (Wavy Leaf). Right Cryptocorine Balansae. Right Crypts (assorted). Right Melon Sword (melting :( ) Left Crypts (assorted). Left Ludwigia Reopens (Rubra). Left Hygrophila corymbosa (Giant Hygro). Left Marble Sword Left Proserpinaca Palustris (Mermaid weed)

I recently sold my squigs on eBay so I have $80 of unmonitored funds to blow on plants and other tank stuff...woohoo.
IMG_8533.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I like the hide order summary bit :)

Dragging out the PAR meter tomorrow. The old nitrate test read 10ppm and new 5ppm while phosphates at 1ppm tonight. Looks like finally getting an increase in readings.

Last edited:
Not sure on this PAR meter still - with the forest gone I can put it back down a foot below surface. Will do that and re-test as I'm not sure what it is picking up floating (sits under t5ho though).

17/1 - 8mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 83 (surface).
17/1 - new t5ho bulbs - PAR 139 (surface).
20/2 - 1mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 69!! (surface).
16/4 - 3mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 63!! (surface).

I've got new bulbs in garage. Think I'll swap out just to test.

Tested PAR meter with T5HO off and got 1.5 - makes sense as it sits almost directly under the T5HO but wanted to check.

With new bulbs I got 91 (highest at start was 112). So no idea how I got a reading of 139 with new bulbs last time (unless its something subtle in the reflectors and the meter moving slightly at surface).

But good news! If I assume (lots of assuming) it was 90 last time for new bulbs and 63 now, it's only dropped to 70%...

Not sure on this PAR meter still - with the forest gone I can put it back down a foot below surface. Will do that and re-test as I'm not sure what it is picking up floating (sits under t5ho though).

17/1 - 8mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 83 (surface).
17/1 - new t5ho bulbs - PAR 139 (surface).
20/2 - 1mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 69!! (surface).
16/4 - 3mth old t5ho bulbs - PAR 63!! (surface).

I've got new bulbs in garage. Think I'll swap out just to test.

Very interesting and insightful readings. Did you notice any difference in plant growth?

It's a little hard to say as I even wonder if I got the bulbs back the right way (the meter only sits about 2 inches or so below the bulbs and floats directly under two).

Also I'm wondering if my old API nitrate test has been over-reading (according to the new one so ....), but it would explain why I was getting 5 to 10ppm nitrates but plants looked to be nitrate struggling. Been tempted to get some API root tabs as that usually triggers some growth (along with ammonia spike from putting tabs in gravel).

But all up the algae I was getting on the glass after changing the lights is gone so I would say the bulbs had decreased. It would roughly match up that bulbs I find need to be replaced every 6 to 9 months.

On bulb cost ($22 each!) I should shift to LEDs (but I've got this I think fairly well dialled in - like an old car that slamming the door opens the boot maybe :) ).

Wishing I could find a better spot for meter.

.. tempted to get some API root tabs as that usually triggers some growth (along with ammonia spike from putting tabs in gravel).
On bulb cost ($22 each!) I should shift to LEDs (but I've got this I think fairly well dialled in - like an old car that slamming the door opens the boot maybe :) ).

Wishing I could find a better spot for meter.

I know I need to google PAR readings... But in the meantime, I'd say you won't need the API tab, does it kill bacteria?

And I know what mean about not wanting to change the "known" quantity!

I know I need to google PAR readings... But in the meantime, I'd say you won't need the API tab, does it kill bacteria?

And I know what mean about not wanting to change the "known" quantity!

The API root tabs are generally pretty good on bacteria but my tank gets a few experiments so the bacteria are pretty tough :) . I'm hoping to test the ferts I have labelled as nitrates in a test bucket tonight as I want to check they are actually nitrates. I thought my nitrates would increase with replanting small plants and pulling out the jungle but nitrates are being a bit tricky. Weird stuff - joys of a planted tank.

15/4-- The old nitrate test read 10ppm and new 5ppm while phosphates at 1ppm tonight. Looks like finally getting an increase in readings.--

Well, 4 days later and I've spiked nitrates again to 40ppm (maybe 80 since I can't tell the colours). Had been getting impatient but last time was the same. Nitrates wouldn't shift up, then they spiked and took ages to come down.

Tested the nitrate ferts in a test bucket made up just in case (they are just labelled EI) and definitely nitrates. So no nitrates dosing for rest of week :)

Back
Top Bottom