Denitrifier.....pain in the rear!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grapeponey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This thing has been giving me a fit. I finally had it steady at -250, then two days later it goes to -475 or the other extreme at -94 etc. This thing is driving me nuts!!! Any advice?? I have been running this on my tank for about 3 weeks now. The guy at the fish store had run it on his tanks for about 3 weeks to get it going. Please help.

Not sure I understand your number references? What type of denitrator do you have?

In general terms, denitrator equipment can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to begin showing results. It takes time for the anaerobic bacteria to form and deal with the nitrates. With granular products they rarely show possitive results do to the fact they cannot be effectively housed in a low enough O2 setting.

Also keep in mind if this is a coil system or similar set up, the flow must remain at a trickle until you get no reading from the out port. If the flow is too strong/high in the beginnibg, too much O2 will be going through the system and prevent the growth of anaerobic/anoxic bacteria. You are basically cycling a coil system the same you would the tank. Once the cycle is done the flow through the set up can be increased and used as an effective means of denitrification in most cases.

Cheers
Steve

1 drip / sec to every 3 sec is my target. Due to build up in the tubing, I have to flush and reset it once in a while. I too am baffled at your numbers..??

Back
Top Bottom