Detailed Dry Fit 72 bow front sump layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finished the sump baffles last night. The aquarium sealer is black but available and in the sump I didn't care how it looked. I fabricated the lid for the sump/refugium out of 1/8 inch. plexi. The handle was gel glued on and is well to tell the truth an old massage vibrator head from somewhere. LOL. I have a fuge light with homemade reflector not shown that will sit on the lid held about 4 inches off by the reflector. The refugium will be bare bottom and is only 6 inches deep hence no sand, and about 11x10 inches in area. I relocated one baffle from the original plan to add 4 inches to the area of the fuge.

The only problem I see is my stand is not deep enoeph to allow me to place the skimmer behind the sump. That means while the supply pump for the skimmer is in the first chamber under the tower the return from the skimmer is in the same chamber as the return pump for the DT. I am not fond of this but I do not know if it is a major concern so comments welcome.

From Left to right: Tower with 3 media trays to me used for particulate filtration and carbon only but no bio media. Under the tower is a 250 gph utility pump with prefilter to supply the SWC/Octopus recirculating skimmer. I have left plenty of 1/2 inch tubing play to remove the lid and slide out the tower trays to service.

Second: 11x10x6 chamber refugium.

Third: Return pump chamber and skimmer return. Second question. Can the pvc pipe of the skimmer return be under water?
Pics below:
72 Sump filtration 001_01.JPG

72 Sump filtration 002_01.JPG

72 Sump filtration 004_01.JPG

Back
Top Bottom