Diamond watchman goby & Pistol shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctmedman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a diamond watchman goby in the tank and was wondering if I could add a Pistol shrimp in order to create the symbiotic relationship?

There are currently two skunk cleaner shrimp in the tank in case that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Ct

Yes. They most likely will find each other and hang out. The pistol is nearly blind and the goby will warn him of danger. They share the same tunnel. Might take a bit to find each other, but they most likely will.

As far as the pistol shrimp goes, make sure your rock is firmly planted on the tank bottom, not sitting on the sand. Any burrowing creature will cause problems when rocks tumble.

Thanks for the posts thus far. Is there any problem with the skunk cleaners and the pistol?

No problem. If the skunks get near his hole, he'll shoo'm away. I've had skunks, reds, peppermints, pair of coral banded, and a pistol in my tank. Everyone had their space.

I just read online that the diamond goby will form pairs with certain species of Pistol shrimp but it didn't specify which ones.

Any idea which species of pistol shrimp will work?

When in question, I would look to see where the species of pistol shrimp and your specific critter comes from. Like an LTA from the Atlantic have never seen a clownfish, so there is a chance neither will host. But as Austinsdad and a few others will tell you, there are all kinds of possibilities.

the most common pistol sold in the aquarium trade is Alpheus bellulus or the tiger pistol shrimp. This would be a good bet to pair with your shrimp goby. Keep in mind that there is no way to predict if they will find each other or not. Once paired, it is an amazing relationship to observe. As mentioned, the pistol has poor eye site and relies on the goby for protection and, in some cases, food. In return, the goby gets a nice tunnel to live in dug out by the bull-dozing pistol. When out in the open, the pistol will always keep one antenna on the goby at all times. If they can not feel the goby or have lost contact they will be back in the hole faster then you can blink. I have three peppermint shrimp, two skunks, one fire shrimp and various crabs in my tank and have had no trouble with my pistol.

Back
Top Bottom