Diary of the 29G planted tank... New pics 4/28/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to hear they are eating again. Maybe its all just adjusting to the new house. I mean it is much smalller and they have just gotten into it. Move in jitters?

Beginning treatment. Just dosed 1 3/4 oz hydrogen peroxide in the tank. Will see how this will help with the algae. As for the amount of algae, this morning was less than yesterday, so maybe it's beginning to decline anyways. Will keep you posted.

Edit:
I decided to pull out the ole diatom filter again, and put it on the 29G. Then I went through all the plants and kicked up as much as the algae as I could, so it could remove it all. All worked well, except one thing, lol. The plants were pearling too much, and the diatom filter kept spitting out O2 quite a bit. But at least the tank is looking a whole lot better. I also got rid of the corkscrew vals by the XP2 intake. Was just causing too much algae buildup on the prefilter I made. But all's looking good. Hopefully the little shakeup helps the fish come out a little more, as I was chasing them around a little to get the job done. :)

Edit:
Here's the plants pearling.......

29g61.jpg

29g62.jpg

29g63.jpg

29g64.jpg

29g65.jpg

29g66.jpg

29g67.jpg

so its been a few days, how are things now?

I have not heard of adding hydrogen peroxide for algae. COuld you explain this please? What percent peroxide 50, 70, 90? How much, for what types of algae is this treatment good for?

As for the hydrogen peroxide, isn't doing anything. I don't want to add more, as it won't be good for the fish either, as it can burn the scales and gills and more.

Update:

The big male Bolivian is once again trying to get the female to spawn, lol. She's out with him near the spawning area, and he's shaking his head, and kissing the granite stone, telling her that he's ready anytime she is, lol. But she looks at him and then swims off, like she's saying, "Not in your lifetime.." LOL

Update:

Changing my dosing schedule a little bit. Hope it has no problems......

Here's what I'm doing. I'm just shifting everything over one day, since I do work on Saturdays, and it's been hard to do my maintenance on Saturday. So I'm doing maintenance on Sundays now, my day off. Other than that, all dosings will remain the same, just everything being shifted over 1 day. I hope that slight change doesn't cause any ill affects with algae, as I went 2 days with no dosing.

Ditto on the jealousy tip! You are a genius.

Just a question for you Lonebluewolf, I planted a bunch of bamboo in my african cichlid tank because it just grows like wildfire... is it okay for my jewel cichlids, convicts, and clown loaches to munch on it?

Looks like from the picture chlorine is about vanished... the drift oughta help soften the water up. Did you use anything from any of your other tanks? or all fresh supplies?

As for the bamboo, Not sure if it would hurt the cichlids at all. I've never had bamboo. Maybe someone else in here could comment on this?

As for the tank, I use Prime to dechlorinate the tank. Has no chlorine in it. For cycling, I did use half the material out of my XP3 to jump my XP2. I added ammonia 3 days, and was completely cycled. No ammonia or nitrite. The plants also helped as well, as they also came out of my 75G.

I did a major cleaning on my 29G again today. I ran my diatom filter while I cleaned it, and did my PWC. Got a lot accomplished. I also did PWC's on all my other tanks, except the 10G. I should do a PWC on it to get some fresh water in it, as my GBR's are getting ready to lay eggs. :)

Edit:
Correction, the female GBR is laying eggs, and the male is fertalizing. When they are done, will give a little time before removing the eggs. Just to make sure the fertalization is complete.

Update:

I believe now that it was Diatoms. It's pretty much gone now. I just never had it that bad before. Was nasty. Plants are looking much better as well.

New Update:

I moved the Big Male back to the 75G. The female is looking like she wants to lay eggs, but not with the big male, lol. She spends a lot more time with the other male. So maybe now that the bully is gone, the pair will spawn. It was an easy catch, I just separated the pair from the bully with my huge net, lol. and spooked the big male into the big net with my small net. Took 5 seconds total, lol. Almost no stress. the male is now wandering about in the 75G. We'll see if they spawn now.

Lonewolfblue said:
As for the hydrogen peroxide, isn't doing anything. I don't want to add more, as it won't be good for the fish either, as it can burn the scales and gills and more.
From what I read, this is a treatment for black algae? It actually promotes growth in some other kinds of algae? Can also damage plants?

The only time I've used HP in a tank was to keep newly laid and unfertilized eggs from getting fungus (learned that trick from Weasel F). It works like a charm...

dskidmore said:
Lonewolfblue said:
From what I read, this is a treatment for black algae? It actually promotes growth in some other kinds of algae? Can also damage plants?

Not sure on black algae, but some have said you can use it to get rid of hair algae and BGA.

New update:
My female Bolivian has laid eggs once again. Her 8th time. :)

Update....

She's still fanning the eggs, and the male is in hiding, lol. Not sure if they were fertalized now. hmmmm.... We'll see.....

Hey wolf i got a question ... in the pics of ur Rams up there ... which is the male and which is the female .... im trying to get a feel for if mine are one or the other and mine look like urs sort of :)

Ray

One thing I notice about mine is that the males are more round, and the female ish't as round as the male.

Female:
29g54.jpg

Male left, female right:
29g60.jpg

Left 2 male, the right female:
29g36.jpg

Male left, female right:
75g238.jpg

Female:
75g108.jpg

Lonewolfblue said:
dskidmore said:
Lonewolfblue said:

Not sure on black algae, but some have said you can use it to get rid of hair algae and BGA.
ooo... Now I'm tempted to try it. Been battling hair algae ever since I got rid of green water. I wonder what will spring up next if I get rid of the hair algae?

Well, that'w what they say. I dosed HP a couple times, and as for the hair algae, still there. And my diatoms are now virtually gone. Not sure if it was due to the HP or just completed their course and went away like normal. But my tank is looking good now.

But just remember, if you use too much, you can kill the fish. And also burn the scales on the fish. It's not something I'd recommend, as I really haven't seen a big change in my tank after using it.

If you want to use Hydrogen Peroxide to treat algae, you might find better sucess by using it as a dip rather than dosing it in the tank. A member of another forum used this method on BBA with fairly high success. He reported that it would turn pink and then soon disappear. Like other dips, it caused damage to his more delicate plants.

As with most algae treatments, it is a quick fix to the symptom and does nothing to treat the cause. The long term solution is still to get your nutrients in balance.

Yeah, I need to get a handle on my nutrients, I'm not very good at remembering to dose regularly, so things fluxuate quite a bit.

A dip wouldn't do much for my hair algae, it tends to run loose in the tank more often than it attaches to anything. I've been doing manual removal so far, and between that and the Amano shrimp, it's managable.

Update:

I now see some wigglers. It's kind of hard to se, but the female moved the eggs to a pit she dug behind the sword. And when looking back there, I see some movement. :)

Back
Top Bottom