Diatom outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budaman

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long does it usually last? It's been here for about 2 weeks, and its turning into a nice red slimy film on my sand. Is there anything I can add to speed up the process?

That sounds like Cyanobacteria. More water changes, less feeding, and increase flow in low flow areas is the way to combat it. It's not a quick and easy task though. :)

What's even more intriguing, it's nearly gone in the mornings and reappears as the day goes on. Still Cyanobacteria? Would you recommend any special filters or water conditioners?

Yup cyano. When I first started my tank I got it pretty bad (and hair algae). The light helps it to grow at a rapid rate. I'm not a fan of adding anything to a tank all they really do is mask the real problem. It's a bandaid solution. What is your water source? Have you tested for phospates? These are some areas to start looking into to get to the root cause. :)

I get my water from the LFS, I'll have to get a test for phosphates, I think that's the only thing I missing. My tank is 5 weeks old however. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Ya still new tank syndrome. I cycled for a good two months before I added a small cuc. The phosphate test won't hurt you never know what is in water nowadays. Do you have livestock or coral yet?

Recently picked up 2 clowns, 1 anemone, and o e pice of hammer coral. In place with a clean up crew. Cuc prob about 50% completed. I'll see if I can pick up a phosphate test on my way home from work, either today or tomorrow. Right now I'm keeping the lights off, and redirected some of my water flow.

You can't keep the lights off with an anemone and euphyllia. I would just relax and do some water changes vacuuming out what you can with each. Everyone had to go through an ugly tank stage. It's simply your turn.

Awesome ! Thanks guys! I decided to reduce the time the lights are on by 2 hrs a day, so only running them about 8 hrs now. And picking up some more water from the Lfs tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom