Diatom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpiman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am having a very large Diatom outbreak. Im not sure what to do. It's 125gal that has been setup since Jan 20. Im using PFS as a substrate. My lights are on from 4 to 11 daily on a timer. I have a cascade 1500 and a marineland 350 as filters. The cascade has 500ml of bio rings and the marienland uses just filter floss to help clean up water.

Water changes of 75% weekly

My stock is as follows. ...
1 - Blue Gourami
6 - Boesemans Rainbowfish
5 - Neon Tetras
2 - Clown Loach about 3"
6 - Glass Catfish
1 - oto
10 - Green Tiger Barbs
3 - Denisoni Barb

My water tests using API Master are 0/0/20

What can I do to help this out. I have been reading as much as I can about it and everyone seems to agree that time will fix it. My plants, amozon sword and wisteria are paying a heavy price from it. Also my lighting is 6 T-8 4' 6500k.

Any help would be great!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1395368302057.jpg
    1395368302057.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 1395368319480.jpg
    1395368319480.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 80
Im also using Seachem Purigen 500ml worth.

Reduce lighting time, or just wait. Diatoms are harmless, but unsightly.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it going to hurt my plants?

Is it going to hurt my plants?

Usually diatoms don't grow on plants, but grow on substrate, glass walls and plastics plants... It look brown.

Decreasing photoperiod will decrease diatoms growth. Diatoms grow when they have nutrients in the water column. Thoses nutrients are phosphates and sillicates mainly. New tanks often have a lot of silicates in the water... Do water change, it can't hurt. If you feed a lot, cut down on feeding. Substrate gravel vaccum can help lowering sillicates and other nutrients levels.

Are you dosing ferts ?

What are NO3/PO4 levels ?

I see you try go grow hygrophillia difformis in sand substrate, I suggest you add under substrate pills ferts, as they are heavy roots feeder.

I have ordered my API NO3/PO4 kit should have it monday Tuesday.

I use seachem flourish 1 week and half week. The amounts the bottle tells me. I use root tabs also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom