diatoms i think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dizzyliz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok got my LR in last weekend, and am cycling my tank with the rock. well that golden brown stuff showed up in the bottom of the tank on the sand and started spreading to the rock and now the sides. I understand that it should burn itself out in a bit of time. I had started the cylcing back in Dec with seeded LS and a couple shrimps, I have been using tap for my tank, but the Ro/Di is on order. Right now tank water tests at Ammoniia .25 nitirites 0 nitrates 20 ppm ph 8.3 SG 1.022

My feeling is i should just let it run it's course, and see what happens. At most do a partial water change in a week or so with RO/DI salt water mix.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

--Liz

Don't water change till the cycle is complete. You can clean the glass and turn over the sand if you think is unbearably ugly. Otherwise you just have to ride it out. Just a couple more weeks or so.

Well, I'll get my surfboard and ride it out. Time to hang ten and watch the slime. I don't think it's all that ugly, kinda neat really. 8)

--Liz

diatoms are caused by silicates. You can check your water for it. As you said the easiest thing to do is let it burn out on its own

Diatoms are caused by silicates and indicative of a problem if they go on long term, but it is my understanding that all new tanks go through the phase and that it is perfectly normal. Water changes aren't necessary at this point. Enjoy the surf!

Sounds like the same stuff on my newly cycled tank... Brown diatoms... normal for a new tank. Just got my cleaning crew in yesterday.

I was afraid mine would not go away. It was gone as fast as it arrived. It came in the last week of my cycle and was gone within two weeks afterwards...with the help of ten hermits. They love the stuff. 55g FOWLR.

Back
Top Bottom