Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey,
So i ahve a 30gal that is cycling but for some reason i am getting so many diatoms! I tested the water and i also think my cycle is stalling because the results were. Ammonia .5, nitrite 0 Nitrate 5
So why do i have diatoms and why is my cycle stalling?

How long has it been cycling? Diatoms are just a normal part of your tanks cycle, just keep doing PWCs.

I always get an outbreak of diatoms with a new tank. Keep em' cleaned up and I think in a week or 2 they will subside, especially since your other tanks aren't having a problem, which means to me that it isn't a silicate or PO4 problem with your tap water.

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers here, but we all know my stance on diatoms...irrespective of what's being suggested at this juncture, I cannot concur that these things will just "up and disappear" within as little as two weeks. I have been fighting them for months on end, with no cure in sight...

Well, it has always been the case with diatom outbreaks I have had with new tanks, and based on the fact that Jason is running other tanks, I would say there is a high likelihood that they will in his new tank too. I think you have something else going that is causing your issue OW. Every new tank I have ever setup has had an outbreak in the early stages... first few months or so. Eventually without doing anything but cleaning and waiting, the problem subsides.

Maybe we can go back to the lighting... I run very high light tanks... could the low light theory have some life in it yet, and that is why I don't have any prolonged diatom issues?

Back
Top Bottom