Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pretty sure we have diatoms on our sand bed now- 55 gallon tank. Live rock and live sand. We already have 2 clowns, 4 hermits, 2 snails.. Added 4 days ago. Should I get more CUC members? A goby? To help rid the tank of the diatoms?

I have the same problem in my new 20 gallon tank. They will go away on their own but I'm sure a cuc will help. I only have three Chromis in my tank right now but I'm going to get a few snails and maybe a shrimp this weekend...It took about 2 months for it to clear up in my 55 gallon freshwater tank

May take a little while, but diatoms will go away on their own..... I wouldn't add anything extra to the tank just for that. Most CUC won't consume diatoms anyway, and those are extra mouths that have to be fed and more critters pooping in your system.

So I should wait a while before adding anything else into the tank? Till all that is gone?

Adding additional livestock doesn't affect diatoms, since it's not a typical nuisance algae... it feeds on excess silicates in new systems, and once the food supply is gone, the algae disappears. However, if you just added the above listed livestock 4 days ago, then let everyone settle in for a while. Remember the saltwater mantra - "Good things happen slow, bad things happen fast".
One question - what other fish do you plan on adding? You want to plan out your livestock list carefully, and typically it's recommended clowns go in last since they can be very territorial.
You didn't mention it, so..... When you bring in new fish, you really need to quarantine them.... in case you were unaware. This prevents unseen diseases from being brought into your main tank. When you bring in your next fish, QT it for a month, then put it in your tank... if the clowns give it trouble, pull the clowns and QT them for a week or so to allow the other fish to establish itself, then put the clowns back.... usually resolves any conflicts.

Back
Top Bottom