Did I commit the cardinal sin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had native species fish in my tank, did a 60% wc and the fish died because the water was too warm (cold water species we had for 2 years). I got a python for Christmas and messed up the water temp. I normally use the hose but its 18 degrees outside, and dang! A new Python!

Anyway, went out and bought 3 African cichlids. Tank is cycled (55 gallons) no worries there. Temp is 72. I got 1 Melanochromis auratus (Golden Mbuna), 1
Metriaclima estherae (Red Zebra), 1Melanochromis auratus (Golden Mbuna). Please tell me they won't kill each other. I know I should have researched first. I was so heart broken that big meanie and the professor died I just got what the store had. My water is 7.8-8.1 ph. Acclimated over 1 hour adding tank water to their bag every 10-15 minutes. Temp was matched when I added them to the tank. They were happily exploring when I turned off the light. Am I going to be saddened by my choice of fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry. I posted the same fish twice in my post. The third fish is Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" Msuli (blue fish, yellow find). I blame the rum.

It won't let me upload a pic. I'll do that later.

I always use my python and send the water straight to the tank. Just use your hand to feel the temp before sending the water to the tank. While the tank is filling keep a close eye on your thermometer and adjust the hot / cold as needed. When doing it this way, use prime for the entire volume of the tank. I add the prime before the new water and then a little after the tank is filled.

Your choice of fish should be fine, but you need lots of rocks and hiding places for mbuna. Also in a 55gal I would add a lot more fish, it helps to spread out the aggression, Just make sure you have enough filtration to handle all the fish. Your Auratus might bully your other fish, they are aggressive.

When adding more fish the ideal ratio of male to female is 1-2 Males for every 3-4 females. Only add a few fish at a time, this will give your bio filter a chance to catch up from the extra ammonia that is being produced by the new fish

I don't keep Africans cichlids just South American.... but I am pretty sure that temp is way LOW! Your not keeping cold water species anymore....you Want that temp to be between 78-80 deg.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't keep Africans cichlids just South American.... but I am pretty sure that temp is way LOW! Your not keeping cold water species anymore....you Want that temp to be between 78-80 deg.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

absolutely right, i missed that. I keep my temp. between 76-78

Thanks guys! I will work on adding more fish and I turned the heater on. It's at 76 now. I do have rocks and caves built. Also some live plants but I'm feeling like the fish will eventually destroy them.

How do I tell male and female? I know how to tell the difference in live bearers like guppies and platys.

I have an emperor 400 Filter and my husband and I were just discussing getting another one the other day, so I've got that going for me too.

On a good note, the fish are doing very well! They are active and curious. :)

Pictures

57623-albums10477-picture68066.jpg

57623-albums10477-picture68068.jpg

57623-albums10477-picture68067.jpg

57623-albums10477-picture68069.jpg

57623-albums10477-picture68070.jpg

57623-albums10477-picture68071.jpg

The red zebra is so funny! He has made a burrow under the beaver skull and now he is burrowing under the cave structure on the right side of the tank! My daughter named him Rainbow Sparkles but I think a more suitable name would be Digger.

Last edited:
nice fish! your tank setup looks nice also. All Mbuna dig, they will rearrange the sand however they like it lol. Always make sure when doing your rock work that the rocks touch the bottom of the glass that way when the fish start digging it won't make the rocks unstable. Mbuna will most likely eat or tear up all the live plants. your off to a great start now add some more fishes slowly lol

here is how to sex the fish, its called venting. you can hold them in your hand or use a net and flip them over

nice fish! your tank setup looks nice also. All Mbuna dig, they will rearrange the sand however they like it lol. Always make sure when doing your rock work that the rocks touch the bottom of the glass that way when the fish start digging it won't make the rocks unstable. Mbuna will most likely eat or tear up all the live plants. your off to a great start now add some more fishes slowly lol

here is how to sex the fish, its called venting. you can hold them in your hand or use a net and flip them over

Thanks for the info! I may get brave enough to sex them. That's a good idea about the rocks. When I do the next pwc I will make sure they're all touching the bottom glass. The blue fish was using his fins to blow sand around. I think it's neat! I'll add a few more fish over the next few weeks.
Can electric yellow labs go with mbuna? They are so pretty.

Your tank set up is really good, I just wonder if you have an algae problem ?

Yep. There's some algae. I don't mind a little. I like the natural look. However it did start to get more because the previous fish in that tank which I moved to a different tank were getting over fed. After a nice big wc and filter clean out The algae is doing better. The over feeding put too many nitrates in the water. No big deal. I'll stay on top of it.

yes electric yellow labs are mbuna. And some algae is good, the mbuna will graze on it between feedings

Ahhh, glad to see I wasn't the only one who got a Python, but had some trouble with the water temp staying just right over the 50 foot (45 as I cut 5 feet off) from the tap to the tank during the winter and cold floor! (92 at tap, 78 into tank)

Back
Top Bottom