Differ between normal light and t5/MH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msuhaizie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone can explain the effect of using normal light to sw tank? Hope u can compare between normal light and t5/MH.. thanks in advance..

first of all, are you talking about a salt tank that has photosynthetic creatures in it? if so, the difference is, the fixtures made for reef tanks are much more powerful than regular household fixtures.
the bulbs are full spectrum and produce a lot of PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) which corals need to live.

define normal light? do you mean natural light? normal can mean a lot. normal light for a reef tank, IMO, would be T5HO, MH, VHO, or PC... but that's totally subjective.

In my country call it pendaflour light.. Os it effective?

I think Pendaflour lighting are the common T8 fluorescent lighting we use here in the states. These are commonly found light fixtures used in and around the home\office. They would not be sufficient to grow corals in a SW tank. These lights do not emit enough PAR. If you want to grow corals you need something with a high PAR output such as T5s,MH,some LEDs etc.

Led are a newer technology for growing corals. Thus they are expensive but can have great results. For one they do not produce the heat a mh or t5 fixture would, they do not need to be replaced( ok only after 5 years but still), with the right LEDs you can grow whatever you want, they can penetrate 30" tanks with the right lenses, and they have a shimmer effect to them. led fixtures are expensive($300 and up). A lot of people can make fixtures for around $250 from rapidleds.com. If I remember a 36-48 led fixture with 3w blue and white LEDs will run around $280 for the parts.

Back
Top Bottom