Different Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep .. treat all three as separate tanks ... if some weird outbreak kills of one tank ... your other two are separated. Sharing filtration could also share diseases, outbreak, pathogens etc...

tinyninjafishy said:
If you all would like to tell me what you think that would be greatly appreciated! I just got 3 15g tanks. So I'm honestly thinking of putting a colony of rcs in one, a colony of blue pearls in one, and a colony of snowballs in the third. What do you think? Thanks!

That is a great idea! Shrimp breeders round the world would be proud.

If you're doing it to sell them, I would set it up with a few DW pieces and mostly moss. That ways its easy to get them out of the tank.

If you're doing it for show, well, I'd do it heavily planted!

For filtration. Anything works really. I haven't had too many Shrimp get lost to the filter. I have a 5.5 heavily planted RCS tank going. It you're looking to make it easy on yourself. The airstone filters are great. You can run all three off of one air compressor and it ensures safety for even the smallest Shrimplets as well as great oxygenation and filtration.

I am doing it to sell haha. And an airstone filter? Do you make that or buy it? And do you have to replace part of it or anything like the out of tank filters that hang on the side?

What it is is basically this:

Air pump
Tubing
Sponge filter

I'm not sure the exact mechanics that make it work. They sell the filter parts at LFS. And any air pump should work although for three 15g, you may wanna look into a bigger size air pump.

tinyninjafishy said:
So you would have to replace the sponge filter?

Eventually yes. But I imagine it would be easier to go buy a new one when it came to that point. They are very inexpensive.

I wouldn't fret too much about it. Shrimp produce very small bioloads and it will be a long time before the sponge filter junks up to a point that it isn't doing its job.

Thank you! Do you have any idea of about how much I should pay for blue pearl and or snowball?

Cool. The only thing that worries me is that it is soooo cheap which makes me feel like it will break easily. Do you think I have to worry about that?

No, sponge filters are awesome! The one you linked works very very well.

It is true that shrimp produce lower bioloads, but I would definitely suggest weekly PWC's of 25%. Shrimp are pretty delicate in general so try to keep nitrates as low as possible. Try to not go above 40 ppm with nitrates. Try to keep it around 10-20 ppm.

If you have a spare HOB filter, I suggest using it with purigen. That stuff works wonders with shrimp!!

Also, I would never pay more than $2.25 for blue pearls or snowballs..lol

Purigen? Awesome! I can't wait to get my tanks running! I am currently working on cleaning the paint off that the previous owner put on them! Painstaking process! 2.25 sounds like a good price

tinyninjafishy said:
Purigen? Awesome! I can't wait to get my tanks running! I am currently working on cleaning the paint off that the previous owner put on them! Painstaking process! 2.25 sounds like a good price

Oh man, that sucks. I don't have the patience lol I'm already excited for you to get your tanks running! Lol instead of blue pearls, have you heard of or seen Blue Velvets or Blue Rili shrimp? They look much nicer IMO, but they're a tad bit more expensive. Stunning shrimp though! Lol

If you plan on using that double sponge filter on all three tanks at the same time, I recommend getting a powerful air pump, like a marina whisper quiet 40, and just attaching a 3 way gang valve (air splitter) so you can have one air pump but 3 filters running.

Wow thanks! Haha it's getting annoying! Should be interesting if I can get it all to work though!

Back
Top Bottom