Difficult Algae to clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

For years I have had a 450 gallon FOWLR acrylic tank. As you can imagine, this is a very large surface area to keep clean. I was using a Mag Float rated for my 3/4" thick acrylic. This worked fine for a long time. I more recently have a much more stubborn algae that would not come off with the magnet. I had to go in with a hand scrubber and this was brutal.

My only idea here is that this is more of a calcareous algae since I have raised my Ca+ levels in recent past in an effort to promote corraline growth. I'm also considering adding some beginner corals which is why I have raised the Ca+ levels.

I just got a new Mag Float Professional magnet that is rated for tanks starting at 1.5" thickness and even that magnet is not easily removing the algae. With many back and forths around a circle it eventually comes off. This is not easy but it's better than using a hand brush.

So, just looking for thoughts from everyone. Am I on to something regarding the Ca+ levels causing a more difficult algae to form?

One last thing, the snails in the tank are able to eat this algae. You can see their classic markings from eating all of the place.

Thanks!
Pete R.

Attachments

• Difficult Algae.jpg
    Difficult Algae.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 67
Usually, calcium based algaes will not come off with the magnetic scrubbers of any kind and require one with an actual blade of some sort on them. At one point or another we all end up getting this algae growing. It can be a pain, but if you get it scraped off it is easier to manage with daily use of the scrubber.

does your mag float have the scraper attachment they sell 2 types 1 for glass and 1 for acrylic , the scraper attachment makes life so much easier
the tougher algae sounds like coraline on the glass/acrylic I get that on my glass constantly.
depending what your stock is a pair of urchins will eat it off in no time

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom