Difficulty in converting units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovecatfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, here's the issue. Buying aquarium lights made in China comes with this issue... they don't actually tell you the number of watts or amperes the light draws. However, it says 50herts. My power source is 240V a.c. thanks in advance :)

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, here's the issue. Buying aquarium lights made in China comes with this issue... they don't actually tell you the number of watts or amperes the light draws. However, it says 50herts. My power source is 240V a.c. thanks in advance :)

I assume by the 240v in your thread that you are in Europe. We use 220v/240v/50Hz over here. This light shows it for the European market. America and other countries use 110v/60Hz. Can't help you with the watts or amp I'm afraid but maybe an email to the seller may give you the answer. The chances of anyone here having the same light is very slight......

You have to know how much power the light draws to figure the amps needed. for example, a 1500 watt power supply would draw 1500w/240v = 6.25 amp. Unless you know the power the lights need ( ie watts), then you cannot figure the current draw in amps.

I'm using a 240v a.c current output anyways. I'm in southeast Asia.

I found the same issue with the lights from china when hunting for a plant light a while back. It may well say on the package but that's not much good until you buy it. Email is the only sure way to know before you purchase. The descriptions always seem to be vary vague.....

Yea. Thanks for helping :)

Current is measured in amps, 240 volts is your potential difference. Voltage is your potential difference, the electromotive force pushing the electrons through the conductor. Resistance is the measurement of resistance to flow in the conductor, your current draw is the voltage divided by your resistance....but I digress here.

You really cannot figure out the power of the lights in watts unless you have a way to measure these factors in your power lines, and that's really a bit dangerous to mess with unless you know exactly what you're doing, especially with 240v AC, that will will kill you dead very quickly! Email to the manufacturer is much safer. :)

Thanks. I just got shocked by the lamp when it fell into the water today. Had a tingly feeling, since I'm still alive, it has to be less than 0.5A haha thanks anyway

Back
Top Bottom