Dirt and Gravel questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaKat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

So I have just restarted my 29 gallon tank. I lost all my fish a few weeks ago they all just kinda...died. After giving everything a nice good scrub down and letting it cycle I now have my fish and plants back in it.

Now to the questions! I was wondering if I could put about an inch of dirt under my gravel? The gravel I have is Super Naturals Premium Aquarium Substrate I got it from Petsmart. Now dirt wise, I've had some people tell me they use like potting soil from homedepo they say its cheaper and works just as well. Is that true? Is it safe for the fish?

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 11857_3823278080556_833060239_n.jpg
    11857_3823278080556_833060239_n.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 68
Well it depends on the brand of the soil. Some companies put pesticides in the soil and that will defiantly kill your fish.

I'm pretty sure that miracle grow is safe but don't quote me on that.

Are you going to plant the tank?

Yeah right now I gave wisteria in there some water onions a amazon sword. Im also getting some other plants. I do have some fake plants in there for now.

In order to dirt the tank you need to totally empty it. Add about 1-1/2 inches of Organic potting soil (many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil) then it has to be slightly wetted. And I mean slightly as you don't want mud or your cap will just mix into the mud. Then once slightly wetted and the soil compacted with your hand to remove any air pockets, you need to add 1-1/2 inches of your cap. Once the cap is added you need to place a plate/dish on the substrate and very slowly fill your tank 50%. Then add your plants and finish filling your tank. The next day you will have to do a 50% WC to help remove tannins and excess nutrients being released from the soil.

In order to dirt the tank you need to totally empty it. Add about 1-1/2 inches of Organic potting soil (many people use Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil) then it has to be slightly wetted. And I mean slightly as you don't want mud or your cap will just mix into the mud. Then once slightly wetted and the soil compacted with your hand to remove any air pockets, you need to add 1-1/2 inches of your cap. Once the cap is added you need to place a plate/dish on the substrate and very slowly fill your tank 50%. Then add your plants and finish filling your tank. The next day you will have to do a 50% WC to help remove tannins and excess nutrients being released from the soil.

So I have another stupid question. Could you use like dirt from the back yard? Im kinda new to all this so I'm just curious

I think people don't use dirt from out side because the risk of contaminates. Pesticides and what not that could be harmful. Which is why people say organic because you don't have to worry about harmful chemicals in the dirt.

Teakwood is right on... over the years you just don't know what has been used and it's just not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom