Dirty sandbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinadno

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a thin sand bed and despite doing 1-2 water changes a day it still manages to look like it's not clean. I vacuum the top of the bed and even mix the sand up to avoid nitrate build up and vacuum again. And also algae or diatoms start forming a layer on the sand. I have a koralia powerhead but it's not really picking up the dirt and I feel like it's too powerful for my discus. I'd rather put an air pump instead but that still doesn't solve my problem. Any suggestions would be great! I can provide pics if needed thanks!

Did you wash the sand off? Does the bag say that it was washed or or chemically rinsed?

I didn't wash it off but I've had this sand in my tank for months

Well diatoms usually come and then go. I've heard people have luck with shrimp, but with discus I'm guessing they might just end up as snack food...you could also try a snail. Worst thing that could happen is nothing. Hope someone else can help you more.

I also use sand. I think sand does not hide poop very well since it's so fine and dense but that could be a good thing since it makes me clean it more often.
You change water twice in your discus tank?

I have sand as well and it shows debris quick. Beware that snails can poop, a lot, which will dirty the sand but it is easy to vacuum.

Back
Top Bottom