Disappearing anacharis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weezerbot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week I pulled my plastic plants out of my tank and replaced them with two small anacharis. All seemed well until I came home last night and they weren't looking so good. I was thinking maybe I had placed them too close to the filters and the air flow was too much for them. When I got up this morning to move them, one had totally disappeared into oblivion, and the other was barely hanging on, so I pulled it out and threw it away.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may have happened, and what I need to do to prevent it from happening again? I would like to go get more plants tomorrow!

umm...do you mean just 2 single stems or 2 bunches of anachris?...if its just a stem disappearing, then maybe your fish ate it...depends on what you have...
if you really do have herbivorous fish, consider getting rid of them before getting plants...otherwise, you'll just be wasting your money...
HTH

I had two bunches....sorry about that....

As for the fish I actually don't know...I will have to look that up.

Tiger Barbs
Silver Dollars
Dwarf Gouramis
Rainbow Shark

ahah...silver dollar...culprit...
i'm sorry to break this to you...but they would rip your plants apart AFAIK...
the choice is upto you... :)

Well, I just woke up from my nap to find the largest of my two silver dollars....sleeping with the fishes.... :(

Coincidence? Did he gorge himself on the anacharis goodness, or was it murder? We may never know.....

RIP

Part 2!! A few weeks ago the last Silver Dollar in my tank died.... :( . This past Saturday I decided with them gone I would try the anacharis again..this time I planted three bunches in. They all looked good until today....now they are starting the disintegrating thing again. The only fish left in my tank now are two tiger barbs, a female dwarf gourami, a pleco, and an otto cat....what gives? Is someone munching on my stuff, is it not getting enough light, or what?? I have an anacharis in my betta tank and it gets less light and is doing just fine. Opinions?

Weezer describe what your plants look like in greater detail. WHat does "disintigrating" mean? Are they punched full of wholes like swiss cheese, going brown? Does it happen fast or slowly?
My dwarf gouramis eat my hygro, it looks like a bunch of holes punched in it and strants of leaves all dying and stuff.

Yup thats exactly what it looks like!!

Anyone have some plant suggestions than will not be tasty to any of my fish?

malkore said:
sounds like you don't have enough light to keep anachris alive.

Thats what I was thinking at first as well, but like I said I also have anacharis in my betta tank and it actually gets less light than the other tank and is doing just fine. I know now someone is eating them because it does look like little holes punched in the leaves and I spotted both my gourami and my otto cat sucking on the leaves!! I yelled at them, but I don't think it did any good.....brats. :devilish:

Back
Top Bottom