Disaster :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfriend09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Went to feed my fish last night with their frozen food and as i put the food in i felt the temperature of the water and it felt much warmer than usual. Looked at my thermometer and it was reading 35 degrees celcius :S and whats worse was that my heater was still on, i think the thermostat may have broke. all my fish seemed to be fine until i woke up and checked today ( i switched the heater off the night before) and my krib pair and their oldest baby had died :( but the youngest one is ok. Sad times, but hopefully when the younger one grows i can buy him a mate and rebuild the family.

I'm really sorry for your losses. :(

What type of heater was it?

It was a Hagen Elite 200w. I best go and get a replacement one before work 2morrow. Temp is finally back down to what it should be. will be keeping an eye on it until i get my new heater

I have a marineland stealth pro heater and it's set on 80 and my digital thermometer says it's 78. And I don't know if it's the heater or thermometer that's wrong but there's always a 2 degree difference. I'd get a different brand if it broke for no reason.

About 5 years ago this same thing happened to me.
I had a 30 gallon tank in college, had no idea what I was doing at the time.

But anyway, I came home from class one day and noticed about half the fish were dead.

The heater was just on, and continuing to heat. The water was really really hot.
I thought it was a freak thing, or maybe the power went out and it messed it up?

Does this happen often?

yes, it happens often. or worse they explode. I think the heating and cooling draws water into them. Look inside I bet you see condensation.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I've had a heater malfunction myself. I didn't lose anyone, but the temp in the tank was 90. I did call Marineland and they sent a replacement free of charge.

If the heater is fairly new, maybe that's an option for you. It won't replace your fish, but it would save you from having to buy a new heater.

Back
Top Bottom