Discus - General info needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Everyone,
So it has been a long time since I have even had a tank that has had water in it but Ive got my eye on a 4ft tank currently that is 55 gal.
Now, I have had a lot of different types of fish but never have I kept discus and I was just wondering on a few things.
1. Is this tank even big enough to house them? I feel as though I should start with this question because Ive seen a lot of different opinions on this. If its too small Im good with that because Ill just get a Mbuna community.
2. Should I go planted or Bare bottomed? I know theyre a messy fish and was just thinking of the practicality of it being BB as oppossed to it being a real showy tank (its in my room so only Ill see it).
3. Tank mates I could have, If any in this tank.

Cheers,
Jason :fish2:

Hey Everyone,

So it has been a long time since I have even had a tank that has had water in it but Ive got my eye on a 4ft tank currently that is 55 gal.

Now, I have had a lot of different types of fish but never have I kept discus and I was just wondering on a few things.

1. Is this tank even big enough to house them? I feel as though I should start with this question because Ive seen a lot of different opinions on this. If its too small Im good with that because Ill just get a Mbuna community.

2. Should I go planted or Bare bottomed? I know theyre a messy fish and was just thinking of the practicality of it being BB as oppossed to it being a real showy tank (its in my room so only Ill see it).

3. Tank mates I could have, If any in this tank.

Cheers,

Jason :fish2:

Sorry no one has answered you...

1. Yes it's the bare minimum for them. You can keep a group of 5.

2. This is your decision. Mine are in a planted tank and I don't have to worry about nitrates.

3. Neons, cardinals, GBR pair, loaches, lemon tetra, etc.

Caleb

Discus tanks are too hot for Neons. Green Neons are more tolerable of mid-80s F, but they may end up being discus snacks. Cardinals and GBRs are better choices. A lot of folks keep Rummys in discus tanks, but I'm not sure what their upper temp limit is.

I've heard of folks doing Sterbai Corys and Clown Plecos in discus tanks, though my understanding is that both species are only OK up to about 82 F.

Rummys like it hot hot. They'd be my vote, get a bit bigger than cardinals and school nicely around. I keep greens at 81 but I'd think they'd become a snack, not very big.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most Cory species will not tolerate temps at or above 80. Even sterbai seem to be hit or miss

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys for all the replies!
Tank mates that can stand the heat seem to be hard to find.. I was thinking Rummynose, for a school in the tank. Maybe around 10 or so, with 5 discus and maybe a pair of Rams but Im not sold on them at the moment.
Its pretty exciting to be re entering into the hobby again and hopefully this tank will be great!
As for corydoras, Im not sure I will get any because they really dont like it too hot. I havent looked into ottos yet but I feel like they couldnt either..
If anyone has photos of their discus tanks id love to see them!

Most Cory species will not tolerate temps at or above 80. Even sterbai seem to be hit or miss

My Sterbai have been fine at 80-81 F, but that's the high end of their temp range and I feed mine extra due to the (likely) higher metabolism that results from the extra heat. Planet Catfish says that they're OK up to 82.

I know that some people do Sterbai with discus, but I wouldn't.

Most loaches are pretty tolerant of higher temperatures but some people have had issues with them bothering discus. I might suggest Zebra or Angelicus loaches as the most calm species. Wouldn't go above 84 degrees with them though.

A 55 is a fine size for discus IMO.

Most loaches are pretty tolerant of higher temperatures but some people have had issues with them bothering discus. I might suggest Zebra or Angelicus loaches as the most calm species. Wouldn't go above 84 degrees with them though.

A 55 is a fine size for discus IMO.

Not to hijack, you're my go to.. how do you feel about Kuhlis in a gbr tank (82*). Think they'll pester eggs or are the more standoffish?

Not to hijack, you're my go to.. how do you feel about Kuhlis in a gbr tank (82*). Think they'll pester eggs or are the more standoffish?

Never tried it but I'm fairly sure they would try to eat eggs, especially at night. Aside from that they should be fine.

Never tried it but I'm fairly sure they would try to eat eggs, especially at night. Aside from that they should be fine.

Rats.. they're sweet, not trying to stress the rammies though... thanks!!

IMG_1164.jpg. I have a vast range of different species in my tank. This includes some that are known for cooler water, but they have adapted well and I've had most of my fish about a year. Surprisingly they all live harmoniously. I do water change every other day. I have ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, bloodfins, butterfly loaches, clown and yoyo loaches, Pygmy and peppered cities, glow lights, black skirt tetras, zebras and yes tiger barbs and no they don't nip the fins of my other fish (they stay in their own group) I know I may get some that don't agree, but I think it depends on your tank size and water quality. I have not lost a fish in sometime now and am very proud of my unusual discus tank mates! Oh I do keep my water at about 84 degrees

View attachment 298107. I have a vast range of different species in my tank. This includes some that are known for cooler water, but they have adapted well and I've had most of my fish about a year. Surprisingly they all live harmoniously. I do water change every other day. I have ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, bloodfins, butterfly loaches, clown and yoyo loaches, Pygmy and peppered cities, glow lights, black skirt tetras, zebras and yes tiger barbs and no they don't nip the fins of my other fish (they stay in their own group) I know I may get some that don't agree, but I think it depends on your tank size and water quality. I have not lost a fish in sometime now and am very proud of my unusual discus tank mates! Oh I do keep my water at about 84 degrees
What size of tank is that?

Nice looking tank... But long term the temp may shorten the lifespan of some of your other fish. Glad it's working for you though.

That didn't come out right, didn't mean to sound snotty just meant glad they're getting along. Lol sorry!

It's a 125 gallon. I know what you mean about the long run and I actually am trying rehome the barbs and blood fins

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom