Discus not eating and hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my friends blue snake skin discus has stopped eating and is hiding from the rest of the fish.
He doesn't have an IPhone so I'm doing this for him.
Iv told him to check his water perimeters and send a picture of the fish but he hasn't replied so I'll keep you updated

Since you can't send a pic yet..tell him to try a 50 percent water and check the ph in the bucket (to make sure it's the same as the tank) before putting it in the tank. Adding clean water will be good for his fish. When u get a pic i'll try to help furthur :)

smileyface9 said:
Since you can't send a pic yet..tell him to try a 50 percent water and check the ph in the bucket (to make sure it's the same as the tank) before putting it in the tank. Adding clean water will be good for his fish. When u get a pic i'll try to help furthur :)

Yeah lol he is a slow replier and he has been having trouble with ph recently but then again wouldnt it be affecting all of the fish :/

He ph is stable at 5.8 :/

Attachments

• image-1021624194.jpg
    image-1021624194.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 199
pattyfurg said:
He ph is stable at 5.8 :/

Uh ohhhh! Aren't they supposed to be in a higher ph? Like above 7 or something? That could be the problem. Poor fishie. Does he have any driftwood in the tank? I heard that can bring ph down. Dis he read the instructions right on the declorinator (conditoner) that he uses? Anyone else have opinions? I'm not an expert on Discus.

smileyface9 said:
Uh ohhhh! Aren't they supposed to be in a higher ph? Like above 7 or something? That could be the problem. Poor fishie. Does he have any driftwood in the tank? I heard that can bring ph down. Dis he read the instructions right on the declorinator (conditoner) that he uses? Anyone else have opinions? I'm not an expert on Discus.

Nah I heard 7 is too high?
I personally don't have discus myself either but that's what I researched lol
His had it at that ph for a very long time and never had problems lol

What are his ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What other tank mates? How often and how large are water changes? How long has he had the discus? How long has the tank been set up?

Does he have a computer? I think it would be a good idea for him to get an AA account so the questions and answers aren't being passed though two people first.

The ph does not matter! All that matter is it is stable. They have breed at 7.5. What is the temperature at? I got back from my meeting today and we had a guest speaker. Someone had a similar problem with their discus but it was only her male. He said to raise the temperature to 90f and they will do much better. She keptd it at 86. He has been breeding angels since 10 years old. He told us that if we had angels to get them into 4.5ph and wonderful things will happen. He had such beautiful angels to and so many breeding!

Mumma.of.two said:
What are his ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What other tank mates? How often and how large are water changes? How long has he had the discus? How long has the tank been set up?

Does he have a computer? I think it would be a good idea for him to get an AA account so the questions and answers aren't being passed though two people first.

I agree..
I figured it was either an internal infection popeye or an injury.
He couldn't see weather both of it's eyes were puffed or just one so I told him to quarantine it and add salt

He really needs to check the nitrate concentration on the main tank. If its eye/s are bulging it could be pop eye with is usually caused by poor water quality.
I don't know how sensitive to salt discus are so be careful.

Mumma.of.two said:
He really needs to check the nitrate concentration on the main tank. If its eye/s are bulging it could be pop eye with is usually caused by poor water quality.
I don't know how sensitive to salt discus are so be careful.

I was researching it and it said that popeye in one eye is normally because of injury or if another fish bullies it but he said the fish is hiding so he can't see it

O ammonia 0 nitrite and 5ppm of nitrate i thnk
That's what he sent me so I'm pretty sure his got an injury from something or another fish

O ammonia 0 nitrite and 5ppm of nitrate i thnk
That's what he sent me so I'm pretty sure his got an injury from something or another fish

He can't really get a good picture

Attachments

• image-2446639112.jpg
    image-2446639112.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 114
What's his temperature at? And also has the fish changed his patterns? I don't see the vertical lines on the second photo. Just spots.

Back
Top Bottom