Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an update on the breeding tank.

After moving the pair to the breeding tank I thought they had settled in well. However the female refused to eat and stayed in the far corner of the tank. On further inspection the temperature of the main tank is set to 30c/86f I had set the breeding tank to the same. I don't know why but the breeding tank was on 33c/91f. I have adjusted the temperature down to 30c/86 and the female has just eaten her first meal for a day and a half. She is now swimming around the tank quite happily.

I will obviously keep a close eye on the temperature.

Guinness said:
Just an update on the breeding tank.

After moving the pair to the breeding tank I thought they had settled in well. However the female refused to eat and stayed in the far corner of the tank. On further inspection the temperature of the main tank is set to 30c/86f I had set the breeding tank to the same. I don't know why but the breeding tank was on 33c/91f. I have adjusted the temperature down to 30c/86 and the female has just eaten her first meal for a day and a half. She is now swimming around the tank quite happily.

I will obviously keep a close eye on the temperature.

The SW tank is a little one. 16 gallon bow front :)

And thank god you checked on them! Lol they could have fried if it gotten higher haha, glad they're doing well now tho.

Ha ha I know that would have P****d me off lol.
Glad there ok tho.

Ah that's not a bad size to start with. My partners is only 100ltr /26g. It's less trouble than the tropical tanks to run.

Guinness said:
Ha ha I know that would have P****d me off lol.
Glad there ok tho.

Ah that's not a bad size to start with. My partners is only 100ltr /26g. It's less trouble than the tropical tanks to run.

I would've agreed with u about the SW being easier but my cycle has just stalled for some reason and I have no idea why :(

here ya go :) just a few pics for ya

Attachments

• Blood Pigeon.jpg
    Blood Pigeon.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Discus 1.jpg
    Discus 1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Discus 4.jpg
    Discus 4.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 67
  • More plants.jpg
    More plants.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 64
DanS180 said:
here ya go :) just a few pics for ya

Ah wow they look cool! Tank looks sweet too. Good job done. They will look super cool when they get to about 4-5 and the colour pattern has developed.

Sw water tank stalled cycle. Have you done a water change?

Guinness said:
Ah wow they look cool! Tank looks sweet too. Good job done. They will look super cool when they get to about 4-5 and the colour pattern has developed.

Sw water tank stalled cycle. Have you done a water change?

Thanks! Yeah I can't wait til they get there full colors :)

Hop over on my SW thread named "fowlr tank soon to be in progress" :)

I have looked at your sw thread. tank looks very similar to the old one my gf used to have before she upgraded to the 26g.

im not sure why the cycle stalled. when we cycled ours we just left it for 2-3 weeks didnt touch it at all. just checked the water every 3 days.

Guinness said:
I have looked at your sw thread. tank looks very similar to the old one my gf used to have before she upgraded to the 26g.

im not sure why the cycle stalled. when we cycled ours we just left it for 2-3 weeks didnt touch it at all. just checked the water every 3 days.

Lol don't know why I didn't comment on your sw thread instead of coming back to this one ha ha.

Guinness said:
Lol don't know why I didn't comment on your sw thread instead of coming back to this one ha ha.

It's okay haha yeah I don't know what's goin on.. only thing I've been doing is topping off water from evap.

DanS180 said:
It's okay haha yeah I don't know what's goin on.. only thing I've been doing is topping off water from evap.

That's very strange. It did look like your nitrate was at 5ppm on the pic you put up of your test kit. Have you checked it recently?

Guinness said:
That's very strange. It did look like your nitrate was at 5ppm on the pic you put up of your test kit. Have you checked it recently?

No I'm at work again so I'll have to check later on tonight.. someone asked if I was rinsing out the test tubes with RO water. I've been rinsing them with tap water.. don't know if it really matters but guess we'll find out later on

Guinness said:
I only use tap water to rinse my test tubes. Never had a problem with mine. Shouldn't make a difference IMO.

Darn, well I guess I'll figure it out lol

Lol yea it's one of those moments. Very frustrating, I'm not sure what has gone wrong with that. Sorry :-( hopefully someone with more experience will be able to hell you.

On a positive note my breeding cone came today. I have taken out the slate that I had in there and replaced it with the cone. They did swim around it for a while try to work out what it was lol.

Guinness said:
On a positive note my breeding cone came today. I have taken out the slate that I had in there and replaced it with the cone. They did swim around it for a while try to work out what it was lol.

Haha well that's good news at least :) curious lil guys

DanS180 said:
Haha well that's good news at least :) curious lil guys

They certainly are curious. Just hope they spawn again soon. Supposed to be every 7-10 days so Thursday should be egg day. Lol not that it is exact. Just have to wait and see what happens. ;-)

Guinness said:
They certainly are curious. Just hope they spawn again soon. Supposed to be every 7-10 days so Thursday should be egg day. Lol not that it is exact. Just have to wait and see what happens. ;-)

Well hopefully it is Thursday, if you're anything like me, you hate waiting haha

Yea I hate waiting, It's keeping me fit tho as I'm up and down the stairs every 15 minutes to check on them. Every time I say the same thing to my partner NO CHANGE lol.

Back
Top Bottom