Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guinness said:
Just an update on the breeding pair. They spawned again 4 days ago the eggs lasted for 3 days before being eaten. I'm sure it is down to the female being really nervous, if I go to the tank she dives for cover, if I put food in she won't come out till I leave the room. But on a positive note. Yesterday and today she hasn't been to bad, feeding times she comes to the front and watches me closely while eagerly waiting for the food to hot the bottom. And WC haven't been to bad with her either so I'm hoping she is coming round and settling in at last, we will see. That's it for now just thought I would keep you updated.

Hope you your family and fish are all ok. ;-)

Aww I guess they really mean it when they say discus are really hard to breed! Haha and yes we are all doing good :) just did a 70% WC actually, water keeps getting yellowish from the driftwood.. Grrrr haha

DanS180 said:
Aww I guess they really mean it when they say discus are really hard to breed! Haha and yes we are all doing good :) just did a 70% WC actually, water keeps getting yellowish from the driftwood.. Grrrr haha

Ha ha the dreaded drift wood! Pain in the butt! Glad everyone is ok and fish are all good. And yea I'm beginning to see why they say discus are hard to breed lol.

Guinness said:
Ha ha the dreaded drift wood! Pain in the butt! Glad everyone is ok and fish are all good. And yea I'm beginning to see why they say discus are hard to breed lol.

Lol you'll get there... Eventually haha

DanS180 said:
Lol you'll get there... Eventually haha

Lol yea when I'm about 80 and on my 100th pair of discus! Although I think I might have given up by then ha ha. ;-) it will come, it's only the third time they have spawned in the breeding tank and I have read it can take as many as 10 attempts. I'm in for a long wait lol

Guinness said:
Lol yea when I'm about 80 and on my 100th pair of discus! Although I think I might have given up by then ha ha. ;-) it will come, it's only the third time they have spawned in the breeding tank and I have read it can take as many as 10 attempts. I'm in for a long wait lol

Wow yeah you are! Haha good luck! It'll happen

So I'm getting pretty bored with what I have in my discus tank lol, what else could I put in there??

I have:
5 discus
12 rummynose tetras
6 red phantom tetras
2 blue rams
4 true flying fox
3 zebra loaches
3 clown loaches
2 banded mountain loaches
3 cory paleatus
2 cory aggissizzi
1 rubbernose pleco
1 bristlenose pleco

DanS180 said:
So I'm getting pretty bored with what I have in my discus tank lol, what else could I put in there??

I have:
5 discus
12 rummynose tetras
6 red phantom tetras
2 blue rams
4 true flying fox
3 zebra loaches
3 clown loaches
2 banded mountain loaches
3 cory paleatus
2 cory aggissizzi
1 rubbernose pleco
1 bristlenose pleco

You could add a few apistograma cichlids they are peaceful fish good for community tanks, or some kribs again nice peaceful fish. You could also put in some ramarizi standard colour to go with the blue rams you already have.

I will have a think what else lol.

Guinness said:
You could add a few apistograma cichlids they are peaceful fish good for community tanks, or some kribs again nice peaceful fish. You could also put in some ramarizi standard colour to go with the blue rams you already have.

I will have a think what else lol.

Lol I have never heard of any of those fish haha guess I'll take a look at my LFS and see what they got

DanS180 said:
Lol I have never heard of any of those fish haha guess I'll take a look at my LFS and see what they got

Have a look on google, some of the cichlids are really colourful. ;-) they are the dwarf variety.

Guinness said:
Have a look on google, some of the cichlids are really colourful. ;-) they are the dwarf variety.

Checked to see if my LFS has these guys and unfortunately they have none of them lol :/ boooo

DanS180 said:
Checked to see if my LFS has these guys and unfortunately they have none of them lol :/ boooo

Ah never! Can they order them for you or do they vary there orders from week to week and get fish from a different are each time?

What did you think of the look of them? The apistograma's are really good tank mates for discus.

Guinness said:
Ah never! Can they order them for you or do they vary there orders from week to week and get fish from a different are each time?

What did you think of the look of them? The apistograma's are really good tank mates for discus.

Area I meant stupid phone lol

Guinness said:

I'm not sure actually, I didn't think to ask if they could order me them, I've never had to order anything as they have quite a bit in their store lol I like all them actually, guess I'll ask them the next time I go in

DanS180 said:
I'm not sure actually, I didn't think to ask if they could order me them, I've never had to order anything as they have quite a bit in their store lol I like all them actually, guess I'll ask them the next time I go in

Yea it's worth a shot, our lfs gets there fish from a different area each week to keep everyone happy and if you want something they haven't got they will order it for you. They are really good.

My mate that owns the fish shop does the same too.

Whats you lfs called? Just out of interest lol.

I use maidenhead aquatics and my mate shop AI aquatics.

Guinness said:
Yea it's worth a shot, our lfs gets there fish from a different area each week to keep everyone happy and if you want something they haven't got they will order it for you. They are really good.

My mate that owns the fish shop does the same too.

Whats you lfs called? Just out of interest lol.

I use maidenhead aquatics and my mate shop AI aquatics.

My LFS is called Aquarium Center lol pretty broad

DanS180 said:
My LFS is called Aquarium Center lol pretty broad

Never heard of them lol which isn't surprising given I live in the Uk. Are they a big company or a small business?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious lol.

Guinness said:
Never heard of them lol which isn't surprising given I live in the Uk. Are they a big company or a small business?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious lol.

Nah its fine lol they're a small business, maybe the only one they have but the store is huge and has over 200 tanks probably

DanS180 said:
Nah its fine lol they're a small business, maybe the only one they have but the store is huge and has over 200 tanks probably

Wow that's sounds like a good assortment with 200 tanks. And you say a small business lol. Do you use anyone else apart from them? I here a lot of people use Walmart and is it just for pets?

Our just for pets are so expensive and the fish are poor quality so we don't use them ever.

Guinness said:
Wow that's sounds like a good assortment with 200 tanks. And you say a small business lol. Do you use anyone else apart from them? I here a lot of people use Walmart and is it just for pets?

Our just for pets are so expensive and the fish are poor quality so we don't use them ever.

Nah I usually stick to them, only other option would be ordering online or driving 40 mins away to another fish store..

The Walmart near me has like 8 tanks and has no selection lol and nah Walmart is like an everything store, you name it they prolly have it lol

DanS180 said:
Nah I usually stick to them, only other option would be ordering online or driving 40 mins away to another fish store..

The Walmart near me has like 8 tanks and has no selection lol and nah Walmart is like an everything store, you name it they prolly have it lol

Yea I have seen stuff that I like from online retailers but have never been keen to order something you can't see. And some of their rules are ridiculous, you have to acclimatise them a Certain way and if it dies 2 days later you can't claim. It's crackers.

Back
Top Bottom