Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easier to clean. More water space. Less chance of toxic gases accumulating in the sand. I'd go BB if I were you but you want plants.

and yes i do want plants so i dont wanna take out all the sand, i dont have a whole lot of decor in my tank so the plants really make it stand out

roydooms said:
Easier to clean. More water space. Less chance of toxic gases accumulating in the sand. I'd go BB if I were you but you want plants.

If he wants a community tank I think that's crazy anyway. I have gravel in my discus tank, 2 inches of it, and I have zero problems. Because I keep it clean. Also the gasses can be solved by stirring it. No big deal. Sand is easy to clean no matter what. I have 3 inches of it in my other tank. Doing fine.

DanS180 said:
Okay then... um i just went online and looked at petsmart and petco and both places do not mention anything about the $1 per gallon sale :/ is it in stores only??

Stores only

paytertot said:
If he wants a community tank I think that's crazy anyway. I have gravel in my discus tank, 2 inches of it, and I have zero problems. Because I keep it clean. Also the gasses can be solved by stirring it. No big deal. Sand is easy to clean no matter what. I have 3 inches of it in my other tank. Doing fine.

Growth is different when you have a BB tank.

roydooms said:
Too long to explain. If you want to learn more about discus. Ask the OP for the site I gave him...

No I know plenty about discus tyvm, I just don't think its that big of a deal, I've got discus I've only had 6 months that are the size of my hand and bright as can be. In my gravel tank. And some that I got a lot longer ago as juvies that are huge. So I'm not seeing the point. BB is good for breeding, raising fry, yea. But other than that I have no use for it.

paytertot said:
No I know plenty about discus tyvm, I just don't think its that big of a deal, I've got discus I've only had 6 months that are the size of my hand and bright as can be. In my gravel tank. And some that I got a lot longer ago as juvies that are huge. So I'm not seeing the point. BB is good for breeding, raising fry, yea. But other than that I have no use for it.

I doubt it. By the look of your avatar...

paytertot said:
Doubt what? That picture is over a year old buddy, from when I first joined

That look stunted. I was like you. I thought I knew everything. If you're saying that BB is only for those reason and that a BB tank is not the best option, then you don't know better. Go to that site. People there are brutal and they won't say what you want to hear but what you need to hear. I'm done here. I don't waste my time with people who don't want to listen. As for the OP. I'll still reply if you have any questions..

roydooms said:
That look stunted. I was like you. I thought I knew everything. If you're saying that BB is only for those reason and that a BB tank is not the best option, then you don't know better. Go to that site. People there are brutal and they won't say what you want to hear but what you need to hear. I'm done here. I don't waste my time with people who don't want to listen. As for the OP. I'll still reply if you have any questions..

Yea that fish was bought from a pet store that had him in a tiny tank, that's when I first got that guy thank you. You don't have to be so rude just because you have that holier than thou attitude. I just have to respectfully say, you don't know me or what I know about fish and what level of success I've had, so I think you should just not say anything at all. Respectfully.
I can't wait to have all the mods mad at me for this but I had to say it.

roydooms said:

Im just trying to figure out what to do without having it cost me a lot, plus my tank is acting strange with my parameters, so I'm battling that right now

paytertot said:
Yea that fish was bought from a pet store that had him in a tiny tank, that's when I first got that guy thank you. You don't have to be so rude just because you have that holier than thou attitude. I just have to respectfully say, you don't know me or what I know about fish and what level of success I've had, so I think you should just not say anything at all. Respectfully.
I can't wait to have all the mods mad at me for this but I had to say it.

I didn't mean to be rude and i don't think I was being rude at all. Just teaching with an attitude. Ok. All I'm saying is your "success" would have been better if you have a BB tank. Just give this site a shot simplydiscus.com/forum then let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm sure patertot fish is fine... To be fair to him he has helped me a fair bit I do think that is a bit rude though . You may have been ' teaching ' but I don't think the attitude was needed jmo .

Samzter said:
I'm sure patertot fish is fine... To be fair to him he has helped me a fair bit I do think that is a bit rude though . You may have been ' teaching ' but I don't think the attitude was needed jmo .

I was then. Sometimes you have to be if the "being nice" doesn't work. Then again it's all up to you. Just because I'm being rude doesn't mean what I'm saying is not good advice.

Last edited:
I have a lot to say but I'm going to follow samzters lead and keep my mouth shut. Obviously roydooms knows more than me and has made a good point of it, at my expense. So, I'm finished here, for the sake of not saying too much and getting in trouble like girls my age tend to do lol

Okay everybody calm down! Lol no need to get mad at each other this is a website for advice, of course people are going to have different experiences and different advice, its the person that's asking for help that has to choose what he wants to do, I just don't know what I'm going to do yet lol so everyone just be calm and be nice please

DanS180 said:
Okay everybody calm down! Lol no need to get mad at each other this is a website for advice, of course people are going to have different experiences and different advice, its the person that's asking for help that has to choose what he wants to do, I just don't know what I'm going to do yet lol so everyone just be calm and be nice please

:D you are right Dan

Back on topic, I've added a few discus after my initial six. Because some passed away from being bullied. Adding a smaller fish to the mix will go downhill fast. Adding a large fish will result in a new bully. Try to add one the same size and age of the initial group you got. I keep my discus (because I don't plan on showing them ever) in a planted tank with Eco complete substrate. Only problem is that they tend to pepper more with a darker substrate, but I dont mind. Freckles are cute.

Attachments

• image-1135899396.jpg
    image-1135899396.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom