Discus tanks mates? Help (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julianhossini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i recently got 2 young discus for my 30 gallon tank and it has good hiding places and caves as you can see in the picture and i was wondering what are some good tank mates for my discus, i heard that german rams will get along with discus so i baught 2 but they are really terrorizing the entire tank so i will probably be removing them soon and im planning to get some cardinals and maybe some Harlequin Rasbora and im getting mixed reviews about angelfish with discus? So what fish do you think will get along with my discus? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image-327993884.jpg
    image-327993884.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 143
In all honesty the type of tankmates for discus aren't that limited. In my discus tank I have angels, rams, bettas, BN pleco, clown pleco, platies and even An ADF.

All these species are getting along fine and are doing wonderfully in the warmer and more acidic water that discus prefer.

Have you done any research on Discus? They are pretty sensitive fish and require specific water conditions. Also they prefer groups and 30 gal isn't enough room; upwards of 100 gals for a group of 4-6 adults is recommended.

They also require higher temps than most tropicals, low 80s, about 82.

Discus are also very sensitive to nitrates; so often daily or every other day water changes are often required.

The Planted Discus Aquarium

For tank mates you could do neon or cardinal tetra; most other tetras would work as well. I've heard Rams could go with Discus but you're tank is really too small for that.

Also is the tank cycled? Before adding anything else I'd be sure the tank is stable and cycle or the Discus are likely not going to survive. Also maybe do some research on Discus and decide if you want to keep them long-term; if so a tank upgrade should be in the near future so that they can grow properly.

Alright thanks, yeah i keep my tank at 82 right now but im planning to raise it to 84 when i remove the zebra danios and the rams, i love the rams and everybody says they will get along but both rams are so agressive towards my 1 particular discus! So do you think i should bring the rams back as i was planning or maybe if i got 2 females it would be better? An im pretty sure that they might be mating and thats why they are so aggressive

Julianhossini said:
Alright thanks, yeah i keep my tank at 82 right now but im planning to raise it to 84 when i remove the zebra danios and the rams, i love the rams and everybody says they will get along but both rams are so agressive towards my 1 particular discus! So do you think i should bring the rams back as i was planning or maybe if i got 2 females it would be better? An im pretty sure that they might be mating and thats why they are so aggressive

Getting 2 females could possibly reduce aggression yes. However it just may be the individual personalities of your fish. Many people keep rams with discus without problems. Maybe ya just got some really violent ones! Try exchanging them for 2 different ones.

Yeah ill see if i can exchange them, i just feel like im annoying them haha i go there almost every day and look at the beautiful fish and the guy is always so helpful with all my questions! i give it a shot tho

Im jealous of your rams. Mine hide all day until feeding time. I researched before buying and a pair requires a 40gal tank. Both discus and rams are peaceful, my rams don't bother my discus or tetras. Maybe a space problem?

Yeah this morning i found a patch of eggs so its definely just agressive because of mating and trying to protects its eggs and all my fish used to hide when i first got them but after a week ot so they became more social so im sure your fish with come out of hiding soon but idk how long youve had them, thats just my experience

Ah that's awesome, a pair. I've had my since Saturday. Yeah very new to my tank. I just wanna see them swimming throughout the tank, I love their beautiful markings.

Yeah they are definetly beautiful fish! and saturday is pretty recent, they will probably start exploring soon! And im so stuck, idk if i should just bring the rams back right now, or get a cheap tank to temporarily house my discus untill they raise thier young or build a temporary divider for my tank?

Back
Top Bottom